Ruud Gullit for pact barring big clubs luring away native talentJuly 29th, 2012 - 6:24 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 29 (IANS) With big football clubs luring away exciting talents to offshore destinations hurting the prospect of countries like the Netherlands, legendary Dutch footballer Ruud Gullit Sunday advocated a “gentleman’s agreement” allowing young players to play only in their native countries.
“The problems for countries like Holland, Belgium, etc are that wealthy clubs from England, Spain and Italy lure away budding talents to off shores leaving the native countries bereft of those talents. There should be a gentleman’s agreement between countries to leave young talents to play in their national competitions only,” Gullit told mediapersons here.
The former European player of the year also asked for the international governing bodies of the sport to come hard on racism.
“Racism is peculiar not only to football. It is a social vice and the FIFA and the UEFA should take steps to check the menace. It has become a culture of sorts to single out the minority. There have been many instances of racial abuse in sports,” said Gullit.
Describing the legendary Diego Maradona as the world’s greatest footballer, Gullit said another Argentine superstar Lionel Messi was fast catching up.
“I still think Diego Maradona is the best player I have ever seen or played with. He was just exceptional. But Messi is closing in fast. He’s a wonderful sight in full flight and we are lucky to have him around,” said Gullit who was once described by Manchester United great George Best as a player better than Maradona.
Commenting on the current domination of Spain in world football, Gullit said the game was ever evolving and sooner or later there will be another country on top of world football.
“Everybody thought there can be no better team than Brazil, but now it is Spain which is the dominant force in world football. The game is constantly evolving and in the future we may have another team taking all the laurels,” added Gullit.
Gullit is in the city on a two day visit during which he will attend the final match of a ‘para’ (community) tournament.
- Dutch star Ruud Gullit arrives in Kolkata - Jul 28, 2012
- Gullit tips Germany to win Euro 2012 - Jun 07, 2012
- Footballer Ruud Gullit to visit Kolkata - Jul 25, 2012
- History collides for Argentina (Group B team profile) - May 27, 2010
- Argentina holds down Messi: Maradona still better - Mar 24, 2010
- Romario boasts he's better than Messi, Maradona - Mar 18, 2012
- Babul Supriyo turns designer, designs jersey for Mohun Bagan - Jul 30, 2012
- Ruud Gullit enthralls Mohun Bagan crowd - Jul 30, 2012
- Tevez, Di Maria to be seen alongside Messi in Kolkata friendly - Jun 06, 2011
- Absent Messi hogs limelight at media meet - Aug 31, 2011
- Gullit expects Holland, Germany to reach Euro 2012 final - Feb 08, 2012
- Neymar can surpass Messi, Maradona: Pele - Aug 19, 2012
- Argentinian stars have a long affair with Kolkata - Sep 01, 2011
- Indian football coach Koevermans gets thumbs up from Gullit - Jul 29, 2012
- Ronald Koeman extends contract at Feyenoord - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: best player, diego maradona, dominant force, european player of the year, fifa, football clubs, footballer, gentleman, governing bodies, gullit, laurels, lionel messi, manchester united, national competitions, native countries, pact, racial abuse, racism, uefa, world football