Russia’s foreign quota complicates my task: CapelloJuly 18th, 2012 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Fabio Capello says the Russian Premier League’s liberal quota on foreign players means young talent is being squeezed out of the top tier, complicating his future job as Russia coach.
The Italian, 66, is expected to be unveiled in the coming days, and has already slammed the rules that allow clubs to field as few as four Russians at any one time in league games from next season.
Capello said the results of Russia’s encouragement of foreign imports into its domestic league were laid bare at Euro 2012, when the country crashed out in the group stage.
“Everyone saw Russia at the Euro,” Capello was quoted saying by the Spanish daily Marca.
“A big problem is that in the teams of the Russian league there are seven foreigners and only four selectable (Russian players). It is very hard to work in this way.”
A source close to talks told R-Sport earlier this month that Capello would be offered a two-year deal, taking him through the 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign.
If confirmed, Capello’s first game in charge would be August 15 friendly against the Ivory Coast in Moscow.
He has been unemployed since February, when he resigned from his position as England manager after four years in charge, in protest at interference in team affairs from the country’s FA.
Capello has vast experience in the game, winning the Champions League and the Italian and Spanish titles in spells with AC Milan, Juventus, AS Roma and Real Madrid.
- Ex-England coach Capello spotted at Moscow airport - Jul 12, 2012
- Capello brings England assistants to Russia - Jul 24, 2012
- 'Capello is a tough coach' - Jul 08, 2012
- Capello 'confident' of Russia's 2014 chances - Jul 18, 2012
- Mostovoi ready to assist Capello - Jul 18, 2012
- Capello seeks to rein in player bonuses - Sep 03, 2012
- Capello can't rest on laurels: Bilyaletdinov - Jul 18, 2012
- No extension option in Capello's contract: Russia FA - Jul 22, 2012
- Capello seeks Russian assistant - Jul 22, 2012
- Capello deal not finalized: Russian FA - Jul 18, 2012
- 'Russia can survive without Arshavin' - May 29, 2012
- Russia plans to offer Capello two-year deal - Jul 07, 2012
- Spalletti backs Capello for Russia - Jul 15, 2012
- Petrescu to take over as Dynamo coach - Aug 16, 2012
- I was 'pissed off' after England exit: Capello - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: ac milan, august 15, england manager, euro 2012, fabio capello, first game, foreigners, group stage, ivory coast, league games, milan juventus, premier league, quota, real madrid, ria novosti, russian league, russian players, russians, selectable, spanish titles