Russian WC football 2018 bid boss says England fans ‘utmost hooligans’May 31st, 2010 - 4:19 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 31(ANI): Russia 2018 World Cup bid chief Alexei Sorokin has launched a scathing attack on England fans, calling them ‘hooligans’.
Sorokin’s comments came after London 2012 Olympic Games Organizing Committee Chairman, Lord Coe, hailed England’s fans as the best in the world.
“I know Lord Coe well. He is a most decent person, but I do not understand what ‘the best supporters’ mean,” The Mirror quoted Sorokin, as saying.
“Maybe he meant that English football fans are the utmost hooligans. If that’s so, I am ready to agree and hand over supremacy to them. Wherever the English fans travel they create huge problems for the hosts. In this sense they are indeed ‘the best’.”
“As for our fans, going to away games they behave well. I may guarantee that as the Russian Football Union general director,” he added.
Meanwhile, talking about former Football Association Chairman Lord Triesman’s allegations that Russia and Spain were involved in a bribery scandal, Sorokin claimed: “We are in a state of information war with England.”
“In England they keep publishing stuff aimed against us. I must stress that we do not retaliate,” he added. (ANI)
- Russia not involved in 'fake scandals' to nix England's 2018 football WC bid - Oct 07, 2010
- FIFA to probe Triesman's comments - May 18, 2010
- England 2018 World Cup bid team to withdraw FIFA complaint against Russia - Oct 29, 2010
- Russia brands England 'primitive' for its 2018 World Cup bid complaint to FIFA - Oct 28, 2010
- England apologises for Lord Triesman's bribing allegations against Spain, Russia - May 22, 2010
- England not cheated out of 2018 World Cup bid: Putin - Dec 03, 2010
- England is best country to host World Cup: Capello - May 20, 2010
- England camp furious over Russian WC 2018 soccer bid chief's derogatory comments - Oct 27, 2010
- Prince William to boost England's 'troubled' 2018 World Cup bid - May 23, 2010
- FIFA tells England to be careful if it wants to stay in WC 2018 bid race - May 29, 2010
- Russia knew World Cup bid results 24 hours earlier: British media - Dec 03, 2010
- 'British press, complaint against Russia may nix England's WC 2018 bid chances' - Oct 30, 2010
- Coe's dream of taking kids to World Cup shattered - Dec 03, 2010
- Beckham asks fans to back England's 2018 World Cup bid - Aug 19, 2010
- FA chief's "entrapment" by attractive former PA could cost England FIFA WC bid - May 17, 2010
Tags: 2012 olympic games, association chairman, away games, bribery scandal, chairman lord, committee chairman, decent person, england fans, english fans, english football fans, football association, information war, london 2012 olympic games, lord coe, olympic games, organizing committee, russian football union, scathing attack, sorokin, triesman