Russian warplanes interrupt US-Japan drillDecember 9th, 2010 - 5:18 pm ICT by ANI
Moscow, Dec.9 (ANI): Russian airplanes flew in the region of a joint US-Japanese military drill, a naval spokesman said on Wednesday, heightening tensions in a territorial dispute between Tokyo and Moscow.
“The area is our zone of responsibility. The airplanes carried out a planned flight in an area of the Russian Pacific Fleet’s regular activity. Our pilots did not violate any rules of international air space,” said Roman Markov, a spokesman for the fleet, said.Japan’s Sankei newspaper had earlier reported that Russian patrol planes had interrupted joint US and Japanese military drills this week when they entered airspace above where the exercises were being conducted in the Sea of Japan.
Markov said that two Ilyushin-38 airplanes — a maritime patrol and an anti-submarine aircraft — had made the flights.
Ties between Japan and Russia have been strained since Russian President Dmitry Medvedev infuriated Tokyo last month by becoming the first Russian leader to visit one of a string of islands claimed by both countries.
His trip to the islands — called the Southern Kuriles in Russia and the Northern Territories in Japan — caused Tokyo to recall its ambassador for consultations.
The Soviet Union occupied the four islands at the end of the war and the territorial row has weighed on ties between Tokyo and Moscow ever since, precluding a formal peace treaty. (ANI)
- Russia says U.S. intervention in Kuril Islands dispute with Japan is unacceptable - Feb 25, 2011
- Russia imposes entry ban on Japanese officials for comments on islands dispute - Mar 03, 2011
- Russian defense minister visits disputed islands - Feb 04, 2011
- Russia refutes peace deal with Japan at APEC summit - Sep 02, 2012
- Russian President Medvedev visits disputed islands, angering Japan - Nov 01, 2010
- Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills in May - Feb 27, 2012
- Radiation level within norms in Russia's Far East - Apr 17, 2011
- Russia, Norway to begin naval drills - May 11, 2011
- Japan to buy disputed islands - Sep 05, 2012
- 'Japan can crash North Korea satellite if needed' - Mar 18, 2012
- Four Russian warships set to leave for China - Apr 15, 2012
- Japan, Russia seek to resolve territorial disputes - May 12, 2009
- Russia reports normal radiation level - Apr 16, 2011
- Russia conducts anti-submarine drills in Sea of Japan - Mar 24, 2010
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: air space, dmitry medvedev, formal peace treaty, four islands, ilyushin, maritime patrol, markov, military drill, military drills, northern territories, russian airplanes, russian leader, russian pacific fleet, russian patrol, russian president, sankei, sea of japan, southern kuriles, submarine aircraft, territorial dispute