Russian luge head dies in CroatiaJune 25th, 2012 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The president of the Russian Luge Federation, Leonid Gart, has died in an accident in Croatia, federation spokesman Mikhail Potapov said Monday.
Gart, 39, had been head of the federation since June 2010.
“An accident happened but we don’t know yet what exactly occurred,” Potapov said.
It is thought that Gart died at a luge track.
“It’s an awful tragedy and very sad, all the more so because the man would have celebrated his 40th birthday in December.”
“He was a very active man, helped us greatly. With his support we started so many promising projects,” said Potapov.
German athletes have historically dominated luge, winning 27 of the 40 Olympic gold medals awarded to date, although Soviet and Russian sliders have challenged their dominance on occasion.
Albert Demchenko, 40, won Russia’s only Olympic luge medal with silver in Turin in 2006 and is a three-time European champion who has competed in six Olympic Games.
- Olympic taekwondo: Chinese Wu wins gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Zvonareva confirmed for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Olympics: Croatia wins men's handball bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- Galstyan wins first gold for Russia in judo - Jul 28, 2012
- Russia's women's volleyball coach dies - Aug 29, 2012
- Olympics: France's Bresset scrambles to mountain bike gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Italy beats Bulgaria for bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Back injury dashes Russian weightlifter's hopes - Aug 04, 2012
- Lokomotiv Moscow release Stanislav Ivanov - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Silver medallist Afanaseva may quit gymnastics - Aug 08, 2012
- Japan pips Russia to women's archery bronze - Jul 30, 2012
- High jumper Di Martino to miss Olympics - Jul 27, 2012
- Russia wins first Olympic basketball medal - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Gold for Tunisia's Mellouli in marathon swimming - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic sailing: Finland snatches elliot bronze - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: 40th birthday, active man, dominance, european champion, gart, leonid, luge track, moscow, olympic games, olympic gold medals, olympic luge, promising projects, ria novosti, russia, sliders, spokesman, tragedy, turin