Russian lifter mysteriously pulls out of OlympicsAugust 4th, 2012 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian weightlifter Dmitry Klokov has withdrawn from the Olympics for unspecified medical reasons, the country’s sports minister said Saturday.
Klokov, a Beijing silver medallist, was expected to challenge for medals in Monday’s 105kg category.
Vitaly Mutko announced Saturday the 29-year-old athlete would not be able to compete, but did not disclose the reason other than to say it was a medical issue.
Klokov is the second Russian lifter to pull out of the competition.
The gold medal favourite in the same category Khadzhimurat Akkaev, the world and European champion, withdrew after failing to recover from an operation on his back, the national weightlifting federation told R-Sport earlier.
- Russia unhappy at not winning weightlifting gold - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympics: Back injury dashes Russian weightlifter's hopes - Aug 04, 2012
- List of venues for 2018 World Cup to be announced Sep 29 - Sep 05, 2012
- Mutko nominated for Russian FA chief - Jul 20, 2012
- Capello to live in Russia if chosen as coach - Jul 14, 2012
- Euro 2012 racism claims nonsense: Russian minister - Jun 10, 2012
- Capello arrives in Moscow - Jul 21, 2012
- U.S. judoka expelled from Olympics for cannabis - Aug 06, 2012
- Capello holds talks for Russia job: Sports Minister (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Russia needs fresh blood, says Hiddink - Jul 13, 2012
- I'm closing in on world-beater Zhou: Russian weightlifter - Aug 16, 2012
- Moscow raceway targets MotoGP standard - Aug 23, 2012
- Galstyan wins first gold for Russia in judo - Jul 28, 2012
- Russian sports minister against more foreign players - Jul 05, 2012
- Sharapova could carry Russian flag in Olympics - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: athlete, beijing, bs, dg, european champion, gold medal, lifter, london, medals, medical issue, medical reasons, olympics, ria novosti, russian weightlifter, s sports, silver medallist, vitaly, weightlifting