Russia wins first Olympic basketball medalAugust 12th, 2012 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia won its first Olympic basketball medal Sunday after a thrilling final decided in the last minute.
Russia beat 2004 Olympic champions Argentina 81-77, with Minnesota Timberwolves teammates Alexey Shved and Andrei Kirilenko scoring 25 and 20 points, as well as seven assists for Shved and eight rebounds for Kirilenko.
A three-pointer for Shved with 37 seconds remaining put Russia back in front by two points, before Vitaly Fridzon deliverd the coup de grace with a two-pointer with five seconds on the clock.
“It was that last three-point shot that did it,” Denver Nuggets and Russia centre Timofey Mozgov said.
“Also our defence was our main strength. Argentina were hitting so many three-point shots, so we responded and did the same.”
Argentina led 20-19 at the end of the first quarter, but the match changed when Russia went on a 12-0 streak in the second quarter, with the Russians keeping the upper hand for most of the match from then on.
Just as in Argentina’s 83-109 semi-final defeat to the United States, San Antonio Spurs shooting guard Manu Ginobili was the South Americans’ top scorer, scoring 21 points.
The US play Spain later Sunday in the final.
- Russia pound Britain 95-75 in Olympic basketball - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic basketball: Russia beat Lithuania to reach semi-final - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic basketball: Spain storms into final (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic basketball: Spain storms into final - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Late gold rush saves Russia's blushes ahead of Sochi - Aug 13, 2012
- 'Venezuela poor host for Olympic basketball qualifying' - Jul 03, 2012
- Military to guard NBA stars at Olympic qualifiers - Jun 09, 2012
- Olympic basketball: Spain, US set up rematch of Beijing final (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Sharapova in women's singles final - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Italy beats Bulgaria for bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- Russia avoids US, draws Spain in Olympic basketball - Jul 09, 2012
- South Korea win 7th straight Olympic archery gold - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams sets up final with Sharapova - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic sailing: Finland snatches elliot bronze - Aug 11, 2012
- Russian basketball player's Olympic medal stolen - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: andrei kirilenko, assists, coup de grace, denver nuggets, first olympic, manu ginobili, minnesota timberwolves, olympic basketball, olympic champions, point shots, pointer, rebounds, ria novosti russia, russia centre, russians, san antonio spurs, second quarter, teammates, top scorer, vitaly