Russia win men’s volleyball World CupDecember 4th, 2011 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Dec 4 (IANS) Russia fought back from match points down to defeat Poland and win the men’s volleyball World Cup Sunday.
The Russians, who had already booked their Olympic place Saturday along with Poland, trailed Poland 10-14 in the final set before winning 25-23, 23-25, 25-22, 17-25, 17-15, Xinhua reported.
Two-time defending champions Brazil, ranked top in the world, beat Japan 25-21, 25-19, 25-22 in the last match to become the third team to qualify for the London Olympics.
In the final standings, Russia, who won the title in 1999 and four times previously as the former Soviet Union, finished with a 10-1 win-loss record on 29 points, beating Poland into second place with an 8-3 record on 26 points.
- Olympic volleyball: Italy beats Bulgaria for bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Russia stun Brazil to win men's gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Volleyball: Chennai spike Kerala to remain afloat - Jun 07, 2011
- Olympic volleyball: Russia defeat Bulgaria to reach final - Aug 10, 2012
- National Volleyball: Easy win for Tamil Nadu, Railways (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- Kerala spike Haryana, enter volleyball semis - Dec 17, 2010
- Olympic volleyball: Brazil stunned, US unscarred - Aug 02, 2012
- Asian Volleyball: India outclass Australia - Sep 02, 2012
- National Volleyball: Easy win for Railways - Dec 13, 2010
- Karnataka, Punjab advance in National Volleyball - Dec 16, 2010
- Volleyball: Chennai spike Yanam for title - Jun 08, 2011
- Uttarkhand, Services in quarters of National Volleyball - Dec 15, 2010
- Australia beat China to qualify for Olympic volleyball - Jun 10, 2012
- National volleyball: Tamil Nadu, Railways bag titles - Dec 19, 2010
- Asian Volleyball: India face Japan for bronze medal play-off - Sep 07, 2012