Russia unhappy at not winning weightlifting goldAugust 16th, 2012 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 16 (IANS) Russia’s failure to win a gold in the weightlifting competition at the London Olympics was “uncomfortable” but not the fault of the coaching staff, the head of the Russian Weightlifting Federation said Thursday.
Russian weightlifters failed to snatch gold in London, bringing home five silver medals and one bronze. Russia has not won a weightlifting gold since the Athens Olympics of 2004.
“We had a plan to win two gold, two silver and two bronze medals. In the end, we still won six medals, but not a single gold,” federation president Sergei Syrtsov said.
“The absence of gold medals is not exactly a failure, but is very uncomfortable for us.”
Russia’s coaches should not be blamed,” Syrtsov added.
“I have absolutely no criticism of the coaches. They all did their work properly,” he said.
Injuries to several medal contenders hurt the team’s morale, Syrtsov added.
Dmitry Klokov was a contender for a medal in the 105 kg category but withdrew during the Olympics due to injury.
At the time, sports minister Vitaly Mutko blamed unspecified “medical reasons”, but Syrtsov said Thursday that a problem with Klokov’s knee was to blame.
Khadzhimurat Akkaev, the world and European champion in the same category, withdrew after failing to recover from an operation on his back.
Female gold contender Oksana Slivenko, who came second in the 69kg category in Beijing in 2008 injured her back before the Olympics and was substituted for Natalia Zabolotnaya, who won silver in the 75kg category.
- Olympics: Back injury dashes Russian weightlifter's hopes - Aug 04, 2012
- Russian lifter mysteriously pulls out of Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Podobedova lifts Kazakhstan to gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: China's Lin Qinfeng lifts 69-kg gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Medals don't determine honour or dishonour: China Daily - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Rezaei wins gold for Iran - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russia's Otarsultanov lands controversial gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: North Korean weight-lifter breaks world record - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Zielinski lifts Poland's first gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Kremlin to honour Russian Olympic team - Aug 15, 2012
- Iran, Belarus, Turkey dominate wrestling championship - Sep 14, 2011
- Maneza clinches Kazakhstan's 2nd weightlifting gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Mexico has best Olympics in over 40 years - Aug 13, 2012
- Iran Asian weightlifting champions - May 01, 2012
Tags: athens olympics, beijing, bringing home, bronze medals, contender, dg, european champion, federation president, gold medals, london olympics, medal contenders, medical reasons, moscow, olympics, ria novosti, russian weightlifters, russian weightlifting, silver medals, time sports, vitaly