Russia targets 25 gold medals in London OlympicsApril 20th, 2012 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 20 (IANS) Russia has set a minimum target of 25 gold medals at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, in a bid to reach a top-three place in the medal table.
“Twenty-five gold medals, I think, is the minimum that will allow us to finish the Olympic Games in London among the world’s three strongest sporting powers,” National Olympic Committee president Alexander Zhukov was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Zukhov hoped that Russia could gain more gold medals than in 2008 Beijing Olympics.
As of April 19, a total of 294 Russian athletes have qualified for London Olympics and the country’s final list would be fixed in June, Zhukov said.
Russian Minister of Sport, Tourism and Youth Policy Vitaly Mutko said that Russia’s main rival will be Britain.
In 2008 Beijing Olympics, Russians won 23 gold medals for the third place, behind China (51 golds) and the US (36).
The Russia officials are pondering incentives for Olympians, as the athletes are expected to receive some 4 million rubles (some $135,400) for each gold medal won.
- Russian PM exhorts athletes to do best at Sochi Games - Aug 14, 2012
- Kremlin to honour Russian Olympic team - Aug 15, 2012
- Russia to send 436 athletes to London 2012 - Jul 10, 2012
- China, US to battle it out for top position in London - Jul 22, 2012
- Russians target 25 gold medals in London - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia unhappy at not winning weightlifting gold - Aug 16, 2012
- Russian team will be free of doping scandals in London: Minister - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia's London-bound athletes to undergo dope test - May 25, 2012
- Russian lifter mysteriously pulls out of Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
- Sharapova could carry Russian flag in Olympics - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia backs all 24 shooters to win Olympic medals - Jun 26, 2012
- Collapsed walker is Olympic hero - Aug 05, 2012
- Russian Olympic winners to get state awards - Aug 15, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: 2008 beijing olympics, 2012 olympic games, alexander zhukov, committee president, gold medals, london olympics, medal table, minister of sport, national olympic committee, olympians, president alexander, rubles, russia officials, russian athletes, russian minister, sport tourism, target, vitaly, xinhua, zukhov