Russia, Spain hit with UEFA charges of racismJune 26th, 2012 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Russian and Spanish football federations have both received UEFA charges relating to alleged racist chanting by fans at the Euro 2012.
Russia’s case relates to their opening 4-1 win over the Czech Republic June 8, when an anti-racist observer in the crowd reported monkey chants directed at Czech defender Theodor Gebre Selassie, who is black.
The Russian Football Union has already received a total of €155,000 in UEFA fines and a six-point suspended penalty for Euro 2016 qualification for various crowd offences in the tournament.
The Spanish federation’s charge relates to their opening 1-1 draw with Italy, two days after the Russia game, after which a Spanish fan representative said that some in the crowd had aimed racist abuse at Italy’s Mario Balotelli.
Both cases will be heard Thursday by a UEFA disciplinary panel.
The only other racism case dealt with by UEFA at Euro 2012 saw Croatia fined €80,000 last week for racism and the use of flares in their 1-1 draw with Italy.
Croatian fans shouted monkey chants at Balotelli and displayed racist banners during the game, UEFA said.
The size of Croatia’s fine attracted criticism from some in the football world, including Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand, after UEFA fined Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner €100,000 for displaying sponsorship on his underpants.
- UEFA fines Russia and Spain over racism - Jun 29, 2012
- Racial abuse reported against Balotelli at Euro 2012 - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: UEFA fines Croatia for racism - Jun 20, 2012
- Euro 2012 racism claims nonsense: Russian minister - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: UEFA to probe Russian fans behaviour - Jun 10, 2012
- UEFA investigates Russian Euro 2012 fans (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Russian interior ministry confirms fans' arrests - Jun 10, 2012
- Moscow tightens security for Polish embassy - Jun 16, 2012
- Rowdy Russian fans head for Warsaw - Jun 15, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia fined 120,000 euros for crowd trouble - Jun 14, 2012
- UEFA proceeds English FA over fans' pitch invasion - Jun 17, 2012
- Czech defender Selassie joins Werder - Jun 22, 2012
- Polish president slams hooliganism at Euro 2012 - Jun 15, 2012
- Porto fined after racial abuse by fans - Apr 04, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russian midfielder Dzagoev asks fans to behave - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: alleged racist, chants, disciplinary panel, euro 2012, euro 2016, flares, football world, manchester united, nicklas bendtner, racism, racist abuse, ria novosti, rio ferdinand, russian football union, selassie, six point, spanish fan, spanish federation, spanish football, striker