Russia lack the pace to be a top team: ArshavinJune 8th, 2012 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
Lviv (Ukraine), June 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Russians lack the pace to be considered Euro 2012 favourites, captain Andrei Arshavin said Friday.
Dick Advocaat’s side kick-off their Group A campaign late Friday against the Czech Republic, and although they are reportedly at full strength, the 31-year-old forward warned that might not be enough.
“I think that our team lacks speed to be considered a favourite during this tournament,” he was quoted as saying by the UEFA site.
Of the 16 teams at the tournament, only Ireland has an older average squad age as Russia carry over much the same squad core that took the country to the semi-finals of Euro 2008.
Arshavin also warned that the peculiarities of the Russian character were another factor affecting the stability of the team.
“What lies in the Russian character, and why someone might consider us a dark horse, is that we can lose against every team and we can win against every team.”
This might be hard to grasp for non-Russians, he said.
“It’s in the character of the Russian people that, when we gather our strength in our fist and we don’t have anywhere to retreat to, we can win against any team.
“But if we relax a bit and follow our feelings, we can lose to a very weak team. For a foreigner, it is difficult to understand; you need to live for some time in our country and only then you will understand it.”
This is the Zenit St. Petersburg man’s first tournament as Russia captain, and he ended on a positive note.
“We’re also skilful and have been playing together for a long time.
“Also, most of the players have been playing together for Zenit, which means we can understand and help each other. On the pitch, we know each other’s movements, and that has to be of benefit to us.”
After the Czech game, Russia will play Poland Tuesday and Greece June 16.
- Russia showing dangerous cohesion: Arshavin - Jun 11, 2012
- Arshavin crucial to Russia's success, says Advocaat - Jun 09, 2012
- Arshavin's creativity outweighs low stamina: Russia coach - Jun 16, 2012
- Arshavin sorry for Russia's Euro 2012 showing - Jun 21, 2012
- No Twitter ban for Russia at Euros - Jun 03, 2012
- Team relied on class, not effort: Russian sports minister - Jun 23, 2012
- Spain favourites, Russia outsiders: Advocaat - Jun 05, 2012
- CSKA coach leaps to Arshavin's defence - Jun 29, 2012
- Russia should respect fans more, says captain Arshavin - Jun 22, 2012
- Spalletti backs Guardiola, Semak for Russia post - Jul 11, 2012
- Russia to decide on new coach soon: Sports minister - Jul 05, 2012
- Russia feared at Euro 2012: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 08, 2012
- Non-playing Arshavin out of Russia plans - Sep 08, 2012
- Capello seeks to rein in player bonuses - Sep 03, 2012
- Coach Advocaat proud of Russia despite Euro exit - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: andrei, dark horse, dg, dick advocaat, euro 2008, euro 2012, favourites, fist, foreigner, full strength, lviv ukraine, pace, peculiarities, pitch, ria novosti, russian character, russians, semi finals, side kick, zenit st petersburg