Russia emerges champion, Kishan gets individual goldAugust 19th, 2012 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 19 (IANS) Top seeds Russia emerged clear winners after the ninth and final round of the Tata IBCA Chess Olympiad for the Blind at Hotel Le Royal Meridien here Sunday.
Russia finished their engagements with 15 match points, clinching the team gold. Taking the silver and bronze medals were Ukraine and Spain, respectively. Germany with 14 match points, tied for second spot with Ukraine and Spain, but finished fourth on tie-breaks.
India ‘A’ went down 1.5 - 2.5 to Germany in a close match, losing their medal chances. But the silver lining was the performance of Kishan Gangolli who took the individual gold in the third board.
Undefeated Kishan came up with an impressive show, scoring 7.5 points from 9 rounds. With six wins and three draws, Kishan stood like a rock in the middle boards, and dictated India ‘A’ team’s fortunes.
Support from Swapanil Shah, Darpan Inani and Makwana Ashvin helped India ‘A’ to the fifth spot. This is India’s best ever performance at the Chess Olympiad for the blind.
Top seeds Russia came up with a powerful performance scoring a 3-1 victory over United Kingdom. Victories in boards two, three and four clinched the issue in favour of Russia.
International Master Colin Crouch reduced the margin for United Kingdom defeating International Master Meshkov Yuri in a hard fought game. The win helped Crouch clinch the top board silver medal.
India ‘B’ finished the last outing holding Turkey to a 2-2 draw, sharing the 18th place.
Final positions: 1. Russia (15), 2-4. Ukraine, Spain, Germany (14), 5. India (11), 6-9. Poland, United Kingdom, Venezuela, Croatia (10), 10-15. Kazakhstan, Serbia, Bulgaria, Columbia, Romania, Slovenia (9), 16-19. Sweden, Iran, India ‘B’, Turkey (8), 20-21. Slovakia, Italy (7), 22. South Africa (6), 23. France (5), 24. Denmark (4), 25. The Netherlands (1).
- Russia emerges champion, Kishan gets individual gold - Aug 19, 2012
- Chess for blind: India down Kazakhastan - Aug 18, 2012
- Chess: India upset leaders Spain - Aug 16, 2012
- Spain surprise Russia in Chess Olympiad - Aug 12, 2012
- Blind Chess Olympiad: Mixed luck for India - Aug 11, 2012
- Spain down UK to take lead - Aug 14, 2012
- Chess Olympiad: Three teams share lead - Aug 12, 2012
- Chess: Russia outwit India to take lead - Aug 18, 2012
- Blind Chess Olympiad: Britain, Spain top leaderboard - Aug 14, 2012
- Chennai to host Chess Olympiad for blind - Jul 14, 2012
- Documentary on blind chess players ready - Aug 18, 2012
- India finish fourth in women's world chess - Dec 28, 2011
- Russia's women retain chess Olympiad title - Sep 10, 2012
- India beat Turkey in women's chess team championship - Dec 20, 2011
- Olympics: Medal tally - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,