‘Russia can survive without Arshavin’May 29th, 2012 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia’s Euro 2012 squad is more capable of adapting to the loss of key players than a decade ago, and could even survive the absence of star forward Andrei Arshavin, said former midfielder Alexander Mostovoi.
Mostovoi said during his stint with the national team, from 1992 to 2004, the team was too reliant on individuals.
“Earlier, if one person was out, that meant that it was difficult to find a replacement,” he said.
Arshavin and Zenit teammate Roman Shirokov have been at the core of the Russian side in recent years, with 89 caps between them, but neither is irreplaceable, Mostovoi said.
“Let’s replace both and Arshavin and Shirokov,” Mostovoi hypothesized.
“If they both aren’t in the match, the national team loses some nuances, maybe important ones, but it doesn’t lose the quality it’s acquired.”
Arshavin was sent on loan to Zenit, his first club, from Arsenal after struggling for first-team football at the London club. The diminutive striker impressed on loan with three goals and four assists in 10 games, prompting speculation that Zenit coach Luciano Spalletti may seek to make the move permanent.
Mostovoi amassed 50 caps for Russia during his career, which saw him spend eight years with Spanish side Celta Vigo, which at the time made regular Champions League appearances.
- Zenit mulling Arshavin bid: Coach - Jul 20, 2012
- Arshavin visits St.Petersburg, sparks speculation - Aug 19, 2012
- Arsenal expect Arshavin in training by July 21 - Jul 05, 2012
- Arshavin sorry for Russia's Euro 2012 showing - Jun 21, 2012
- Russia should respect fans more, says captain Arshavin - Jun 22, 2012
- Mostovoi ready to assist Capello - Jul 18, 2012
- Zenit kick off title defence with Amkar win - Jul 22, 2012
- CSKA coach leaps to Arshavin's defence - Jun 29, 2012
- Spalletti backs Guardiola, Semak for Russia post - Jul 11, 2012
- Non-playing Arshavin out of Russia plans - Sep 08, 2012
- Zenit signs young striker from Montenegro - Jun 06, 2012
- Zenit coach confirms interest in Nani - Aug 18, 2012
- Russia showing dangerous cohesion: Arshavin - Jun 11, 2012
- Arshavin out of Arsenal's Champions League squad - Sep 18, 2012
- Zenit thrash Spartak 5-0 - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: alexander mostovoi, andrei, assists, caps, champions league, dg, euro 2012, league appearances, london club, luciano spalletti, nuances, ria novosti russia, russian side, spanish side, speculation, stint, striker, team football, teammate, zenit