Russia beat Czech Republic 4-1 in Euro 2012June 9th, 2012 - 4:04 am ICT by IANS
Wroclaw (Poland), June 9 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Two goals from Alan Dzagoev and a late stunner from Roman Pavlyuchenko helped Russia throw down a marker at Euro 2012 Friday with a 4-1 dismantling of the Czech Republic.
With co-hosts Poland drawing 1-1 with Greece in the tournament curtain-raiser earlier Friday, the Russians shoot to the top of Group A and become the team to beat.
CSKA Moscow midfielder Dzagoev, 21, put the Russians ahead on 15 minutes, smashing home a rebound off the post from an Alexander Kerzhakov header.
The second came less than 10 minutes later as midfielder Roman Shirokov chipped deftly over Petr Cech after a through ball from Andrei Arshavin.
The Czechs pulled one back early in the second half through Wolfsburg striker Vaclav Pilar, who calmly rounded Vyacheslav Malafeev and slot home from a tight angle.
Roman Pavlyuchenko came on for Alexander Kerzhakov on 75 minutes, and the former Tottenham man immediately set up Dzagoev for his second before firing in a stunning fourth for his team a minute later.
It was a performance on a parallel with Russia’s victory over the Netherlands at Euro 2008, and hails the arrival on the international scene of CSKA Moscow’s Dzagoev, who has for years been mooted as a star of the future.
Russia takes on Poland in Warsaw for the next game Tuesday while the Czechs will face Greece.
Russia: Vyacheslav Malafeev, Alexander Anyukov, Sergei Ignashevich, Alexei Berezutsky, Yuri Zhirkov, Igor Denisov, Konstantin Zyryanov, Roman Shirokov, Alan Dzagoev (Alexander Kokorin, 85), Andrei Arshavin, Alexander Kerzhakov.
Czech Republic: Peter Cech; Theodor Gebre Selassie, Michal Kadlec, Roman Hubnik, Tomas Sivok; Jan Rezek (Tomas Hubschman, 46), Jaroslav Plasil, Tomas Rosicky, Petr Jiracek (Milan Petrzela, 75), Vaclav Pilar; Milan Baros (David Lafata, 87).
- Euro 2012: Polish blast blows Group A wide open - Jun 13, 2012
- Arshavin crucial to Russia's success, says Advocaat - Jun 09, 2012
- Euro 2012: Greek grit secures win, knocks out Russia - Jun 17, 2012
- Euro 2012: Czechs outpace Greece to earn a 2-1 victory - Jun 13, 2012
- Crushing Czechs was easy: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 09, 2012
- Leading scorers at Euro 2012 - Jun 18, 2012
- Arshavin's creativity outweighs low stamina: Russia coach - Jun 16, 2012
- Dzyuba to miss World Cup qualifiers - Sep 05, 2012
- Russia demolish Italy 3-0 - Jun 02, 2012
- Euro 2012 Group A Preview: No big names, evenly-matched - Jun 05, 2012
- Euro 2012: Czechs stun hosts Poland 1-0, top Group A (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Russia coach Advocaat not to make changes for Poland - Jun 12, 2012
- Ronaldo heads Portugal into semifinal, downs Czechs - Jun 22, 2012
- Russia can be world champions in 2018: Platini - Jan 21, 2012
- Czech team praised by fans - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: alexander kerzhakov, cska moscow, curtain raiser, david lafata, denisov, drawing 1, euro 2008, euro 2012, jaroslav plasil, michal kadlec, milan baros, peter cech, petr jiracek, rezek, ria novosti, tomas hubschman, tomas rosicky, tomas sivok, vyacheslav, wroclaw poland