Russell powers West Indies to 225/8 (Lead)June 12th, 2011 - 12:36 am ICT by IANS
St John’s (Antigua), June 11 (IANS) Andre Russell smashed an unbeaten 92 off 64 balls and powered West Indies to 225 for eight against India in the third One-day International cricket match here Saturday.
West Indies were reduced to 96 for seven at one stage before all-rounder Russell led the charge with a brilliant batting display.
Leg spinner Amit Mishra (3/28) and pacer Munaf Patel (3/60) caused the damage and India were looking to wrap up West Indies for a smaller total.
Russell and Carlton Baugh (36) then added 78 runs for the eighth wicket.
Russell smacked the bowlers all over the park in the death overs. Captain Suresh Raina was clobbered for 22 runs in the penultimate over. Russell hit eight fours and five towering sixes as West Indies, who are 0-2 down in the five match series reached a respectable total.
At one stage, West Indies lost as many as six wickets for only 31 runs.
After being put to bat, West Indies kept on losing wickets with Indian bowlers taking full advantage of the slow surface.
Although there was a 65-run second wicket partnership between Lendl Simmons (45) and Ramnaresh Sarwan (28), but runs came at a slow pace.
Once the partnership was broken when Sarwan was run-out, the West Indies middle order caved in.
- Sharma's unbeaten 86 gives India a series win in West Indies - Jun 12, 2011
- Rohit Sharma guides India to a comfortable win (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs. West Indies, 3rd ODI - Jun 12, 2011
- India to field against West Indies in fourth ODI - Jun 13, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, third ODI - Jun 11, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, fourth ODI - Jun 14, 2011
- West Indies score 214/9, Harbhajan takes three wickets (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Scoreboard: West Indies vs India, fourth ODI - Jun 14, 2011
- India opt to bat against the West Indies in first Test - Jun 20, 2011
- Martin, Russell give West Indies consolation win over India (Second lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Chris Gayle not considered for 3rd ODI against India - Jun 10, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs West Indies, first Test - Jun 24, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs West Indies, day two, first Test - Jun 22, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. West Indies, Second Test, Day three - Jun 30, 2011
- Final scoreboard: India vs. West Indies, day four, first Test - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: amit, balls, baugh, India, indian bowlers, international cricket, lendl, match, pacer, ramnaresh sarwan, rounder, simmons, sixes, slow pace, st john, stage west, suresh raina, west indies, wicket partnership, wickets