Rugby teams announced for Commonwealth GamesJune 10th, 2010 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 10 (IANS) Sixteen countries will participate in the Rugby Sevens tournament for the Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games here.
Samoa, who secured their first International Rugby Board (IRB) Sevens World Series crown last week, reigning Commonwealth Games Rugby Sevens champions New Zealand, hosts India, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Kenya, Namibia, Uganda, England, Scotland, Wales, Australia, Papua New Guinea, Tonga , Canada and Guyana will participate in the tournament from Oct 11-12.
“We firmly believe that the Sevens tournament at the Commonwealth Games plays an important role in the ongoing development and promotion of rugby around the world, attracting some of the world’s top players, delivering exciting matches and attracting new fans thanks to the remarkable talent of all the international teams competing,” said IRB president Bernard Lapasset.
“The Sevens tournament at the Commonwealth Games has always proven successful, achieving sell-out crowds, and this year we are particularly excited that the competition is being held in India where rugby is reaching out to new young audiences in a rapidly developing market for our sport. We are looking forward to what promises to be an exciting tournament.”
Rugby Sevens was introduced to the Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur 1998.
The pools and tournament schedule will be announced in the coming weeks.
- Final medals tally of Commonwealth Games - Oct 15, 2010
- CWG medals tally - Oct 12, 2010
- Scotland announces rugby squad for Commonwealth Games - Aug 11, 2010
- Medals Tally, Day 10 - Oct 14, 2010
- CWG medals tally, eighth day - Oct 12, 2010
- CWG Medals Tally - Oct 13, 2010
- CWG Medals table - Oct 13, 2010
- Factfile on Commonwealth countries - Sep 02, 2010
- Continent-wise countries at the Delhi Commonwealth Games - Oct 03, 2010
- Africa has highest, Americas the least countries at CWG (Lead) - Oct 03, 2010
- New Zealand's rugby coach wants team to knit together - Oct 09, 2010
- New Zealand sees record attendance for Rugby World Cup - Oct 03, 2011
- CWG schedule: Day eight of competitions - Oct 11, 2010
- CWG Medals Tally, Day Six - Oct 10, 2010
- CWG Medals tally, Day Five - Oct 09, 2010
Tags: africa kenya, commonwealth games, crowds, england scotland wales, games new, guyana, international rugby board, irb sevens, kuala lumpur, New Delhi, oct 11, ongoing development, papua new guinea, pools, remarkable talent, rugby teams, sevens tournament, wales australia, world series, young audiences