Rs.16.5 million flows in for Olympic bronze winner Sushil (Lead)August 20th, 2008 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 20 (IANS) Cash awards to the tune of Rs.16.5 million have flowed in for India’s latest sporting icon Sushil Kumar. After Abhinav Bindra shot India’s maiden Olympic gold medal last week, Delhi wrestler Sushil added a second medal to India’s kitty by winning the bronze in the men’s freestyle (66kg) event at the Beijing Games Wednesday.
It was first the turn of Delhi chief minister Sheila Dixit to announce a cash award of Rs.5 million and she was followed by Union Sports Minister M.S. Gill who announced Rs. 2 million for the Steel Authority of India (SAIL) employee.
“It is a great achievement by Sushil. He is the new icon for Delhi and I will give him a cash award of Rs.5 million. His coach Satpal will also get promotion,” Dixit told a TV channel.
Ram Vilas Paswan, minister of chemicals, fertilizers and steel, came up with Rs.1.5 million award for Sushil. Not to be left behind, Railways minister Lalu Prasad announced Rs.5.5 million and the Haryana Government Rs.2.5 million.
Paswan added: “Two years back, we decided to promote two sportspersons and Sushil was one of them. We have always supported him and I am happy that he has done the country proud. We will have a grand reception for him. I have also asked the SAIL Chairman to give him a promotion.”
Sushil’s bronze comes after 56-years when wrestler Khashaba Dadasaheb Jadhav gave India its first ever individual Olympic medal. Jadhaav also won the bronze in the Freestyle Bantamweight class in the 1952 Helsinki Games.
This is the first time after 1952 that India have won two medals in a particular edition of the Olympics.
- Haryana announces Rs.1.5 crore reward, land for Sushil - Aug 12, 2012
- PM hails Sushil Kumar; railways rewards him Rs.75 lakh (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
- Sports Minister hails bronze medallist Yogeshwar - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian wrestling has a bright future: Sports minister - Aug 12, 2012
- India hails Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- Railways announce Rs.75 lakh award for Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil first to win back-to-back medals (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Dikshit announces Rs.1 crore award for Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- Gill inaugurates wrestling stadium for Commonwealth Games - Jul 06, 2010
- Andhra announces Rs.50 lakh cash award for Gagan - Jul 31, 2012
- Mamata announces promotion, cash award for Sushil Kumar - Sep 13, 2010