Royal Challengers restrict Chargers to 132/7 in crunch game (Lead)May 20th, 2012 - 8:53 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 20 (IANS) Disciplined bowling by Royal Challengers Bangalore restricted Deccan Chargers to 132 for seven in 20 overs in their must-win match in the Indian Premier League (IPL) at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium at the Uppal here Sunday.
Electing to field, Royal Challengers bowlers kept Chargers under check and claimed wickets at regular intervals. With 17 points from 15 matches, Royal Challangers must win this match for a berth in play-offs.
A late charge by Jean Paul Duminy (74 off 53) helped Chargers reach a respectable total, which at one time was looking unlikely. The South African’s knock was studded with four boundaries and five sixes, providing some entertainment to the holiday crowd, which was otherwise disappointed by the poor show by top order of the home team.
Duminy was supported well by Parhiv Patel (16 off 21). They added 71 for the fifth wicket to revive the innings after Chargers were left struggling at 51 for four in the 12th over.
Deccan Chargers, who knocked out Rajasthan Royals in the last match, is trying to avoid finishing last on the table.
Shikhar Dhawan (5) fell cheaply and in a rather bizarre fashion in the very first over when a quick delivery from Zaheer Khan zipped between bat and pad. The bowler appealed for lBW but umpire Simon Taufel eclared him not out. Chris Gayle and other fielders then drew the umpire’s attention towards the fallen bail. Dhawan was given out after TV replays showed the ball kissed the top of the bail.
Akshath Reddy, who had done well in the last game against Rajasthan Royals, did not last long as he edged out Vinay Kumar to be caught by A.B.Di Villiers behind the stumps.
Cameron White, another leading run scorer this season, disappointed once again as he mistimed a shot off Parmeshwaran only to be held out by Mayank Agarwal at square leg.
Skipper Kumar Sangakkara, who returned to the side after resting himself in the last match, tried to rebuild the innings with Duminy but failed yet again. The Sri lankan, who had a dismal show with the bat this season, was caught by Vinay Kumar at long off while trying to loft Muttiah Muralitharan.
The next over by Muralitharan saw Duminy hitting him three sixes, two of them in successive deliveries. Trying to continue the aggression in the next over, Duminy mistimed the shot off Zaheer Khan and caught by substitute Appanna, who took a well-judged catch.
For Royal Challangers, Vinay Kumar was the most successful bowler, picking up three wickets for 22. Zaheer Khan claimed two for 30 while Prashant Parameswaran and Muttiah Muralitharan took a wicket each.
- Royal Challengers knoked out, Chennai in play-offs (Second Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Royal Challengers opt to bowl against Deccan Chargers - May 20, 2012
- Rayudu, Pollard fashion sensational win for Mumbai Indians (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Keen tussle on cards as Chargers looks to spoil RCB's party (Preview) - May 19, 2012
- Scoreboard: Delhi Daredevils vs Royal Challengers, IPL - May 18, 2012
- Pietersen stars in Daredevils's convincing win over Deccan Chargers (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- RCB look to maintain momentum against hapless Warriors - May 10, 2012
- IPL scoreboard: Deccan Chargers vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - Apr 15, 2011
- Rajasthan Royals knocked out, Chargers win finally (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- IPL Scoreboard: Royal Challengers vs. Mumbai Indians - May 10, 2012
- Gayle fashions Royal Challengers' nine-wicket win over Mumbai Indians (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- RCB's de Villiers tames Chargers for dramatic win (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- IPL Scoreboard: RCB vs Deccan Chargers - May 07, 2012
- Muralitharan, Vettori guide Royal Challengers to win over Daredevils (Roundup) - Apr 07, 2012
- Chipli, Steyn help Deccan Chargers to break home jinx (Lead) - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: bizarre fashion, cameron white, challangers, challengers, chris gayle, dhawan, fielders, holiday crowd, ipl, last game, last match, lbw, rajiv gandhi international stadium, sangakkara, simon taufel, sixes, square leg, uppal, wickets, zaheer khan