Roy wants FIH to reconsider recognition to Hockey IndiaJune 17th, 2009 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) The J.B.Roy led faction Wednesday appealed to International Hockey Federation (FIH) president Leandro Negre to reconsider the decision to recognise the newly-formed Hockey India (HI), “formed undemocratically” with “members not associated with hockey”.
In a joint letter, Bengal Hockey Association (BHA) president J.B.Roy and Indian Women’s Hockey Federation (IWHF) secretary Amrit Bose told FIH their outfits represented 22 men’s and 20 women’s associations, constituting two-thirds of the majority of 70 state-level associations in the country.
“The joint body unanimously objected to the manner Hockey India was formed and was fully in favour of a democratic unified body for men and women. As apprised to you earlier, ideally the Indian Olympic Association should have called a joint meeting of both men’s and women’s state units and then formed the unified body,” the letter stated.
The meeting held at Amby Valley Sunday has authorised Roy and Bose to talk to the FIH for a proper appreciation of the situation.
“We appreciate your consistent stance that apart from the basic pre-condition of the unified body, it has to be democratically formed. There is evidence to show that Hockey India was formed undemocratically and with members who were never associated with hockey.”
The letter has expressed concern over media reports that FIH secretary general Peter Cohen has issued a letter “recognising Hockey India” and said “if that is true then there seems to be a communication gap between you and Mr. Cohen as you had clearly indicated to us that the mechanism to be adopted will be completely democratic. But the purported letter, if it is true would be seen as support to a completely undemocratic manner of functioning.”
Roy and Bose also submitted a copy of resolutions passed in the meeting signed by 42 members.
They sought a meeting with the FIH chief when he is in India next week.
- Hockey India acting in undemocratic manner: Roy to Negre - Jul 28, 2009
- J.B. Roy led hockey faction flexes its muscles - Jun 15, 2009
- Over 50 state hockey units to meet at Aamby Valley - Jun 12, 2009
- IWHF springs to life and questions HI's legitimacy - Jun 10, 2010
- Roy calls parallel meeting after differences with Gill - Jun 11, 2009
- IHF, IWHF call special general meeting for merger - Aug 11, 2010
- IHF and IWHF form joint body, to hold election in October - Aug 12, 2010
- FIH rejects HI-IHF unification (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Hockey India and Gill-led IHF join hands for merger - Jun 14, 2009
- FIH frowns at HI-IHF unification, pulls tournaments out of India - Jul 29, 2011
- IWHF says it is initiating "merger" process with IHF - Jun 12, 2010
- Sports ministry to evaluate HI-IHF power sharing formula - Aug 04, 2011
- World hockey looking at India as major hub for the sport - Feb 27, 2012
- FIH rejects ministry's contention, backs Hockey India - Aug 09, 2010
- FIH asks sports ministry to recognise only Hockey India - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: amby valley, amrit, authorised, bengal, bha, bose, communication gap, consistent stance, faction, gap, hockey association, indian olympic association, indian women, international hockey federation, mr cohen, New Delhi, peter cohen, proper appreciation, secretary general, undemocratic manner