Rowing put off owing to approaching thunderstormAugust 10th, 2008 - 6:17 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 10 (Xinhua) Olympic rowing has been postponed owing to an approaching thunderstorm at the Shunyi Rowing-Canoeing Park here on Sunday. When the men’s quadruple sculls heats finished around 5:20 p.m., it began to rain, which disrupted the competition with the women’s and men’s eight were yet to get underway.
It’s the second day of the Olympic regatta with heats of seven events on agenda.
Three hourly weather forecast a thunderstorm is approaching the venue.
Chen Chunxin, director of rowing regatta organisation at the venue, usually for rowing and canoeing regattas, slight rain without thunder won’t influence the competition. But when there is thunder, for the sake of athletes’ safety, the competition is delayed.
“We usually inform the athletes when thunder is still 20 kilometers away from us,” added Chen. “We have meteorologists from the Beijing Meteorology Bureau. They provide timely weather forecast to ensure a safe regatta.”
The competition was postponed till further notice when the weather forcast, for 6 p.m.- 9 p.m., predicted thundershowers.
- Olympics: New Zealand rowers set records - Jul 29, 2012
- Rowing world champion Drysdale eyes maiden Olympic gold - Jul 26, 2012
- Three Indian rowers qualify for Olympics - Apr 29, 2012
- Dedicated weather forecast for each Games venue - Sep 05, 2010
- Reaching quarters will be good: Indian rowing coach - Jul 20, 2012
- China ready to challenge western dominance in water sports - Jul 26, 2008
- Schedule of events involving Indian athletes at the London Olympics Sunday - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Sunday - Jul 29, 2012
- India at London Olympics (Schedule) - Jul 27, 2012
- Summer rains bring relief to northern India (Roundup) - May 22, 2011
- Sunny morning in Delhi, rain likely - May 13, 2012
- Bright day in Delhi, thunder storm expected - May 11, 2012
- Top divers to compete in World Cup and Olympic test - Feb 18, 2012
- Storms in Chicago force 450 flight cancellations - Apr 21, 2011
- Thunderstorm cools Delhi after scorching heat (Lead) - May 12, 2012
Tags: beijing, further notice, hourly weather, kilometers, meteorology bureau, olympic regatta, olympic rowing, rain, regattas, sake, thundershowers, thunderstorm, timely weather, venue, weather forcast, xinhua