Rowers give Britain first home goldAugust 1st, 2012 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 1 (IANS) The British pair of Helen Glover and Heather Stanning gave the host nation their first gold medal of the London Olympics with a victory in the women’s pair rowing here Wednesday.
The silver went to the Australian crew of Kate Hornsey and Sarah Tait, almost three seconds behind, while New Zealand’s Juliette Haigh and Rebecca Scown took the bronze.
Glover and Stanning’s winning time at Eton Downey was 7 minutes 27.13 seconds, more than half a minute outside the world record.
- Olympics: New Zealand rowers set records - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: McKeever wins canoe gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Britain's McKeever speeds to canoe gold (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: New Zealand glides to rowing pairs gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic rowing: Britain storms to women's sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Ukraine glide to gold in quadruple sculls - Aug 01, 2012
- Paralympic discus gold for Russia - Sep 01, 2012
- Russian lifter mysteriously pulls out of Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: German duo stroke to canoe gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic rowing: Britain wins gold in lightweight women's double sculls - Aug 04, 2012
- Maldonado tops second practice at wet Hockenheim - Jul 20, 2012
- Federer, Azarenka retain top spot - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic rowing: New Zealand's Drysdale takes single sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Czech Knapkova glides to rowing gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Germany's Brendel paddles to canoe gold - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: australian crew, bs, dg, downey, eton, gold medal, haigh, half a minute, heather, helen glover, home gold, hornsey, host nation, london olympics, olympics, rebecca, ria novosti, tait, winning time, world record