Rotation policy helping Test team: Cricket AustraliaJanuary 8th, 2012 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
Melburne, Jan 8 (IANS) Cricket Australia (CA) high performance manager Pat Howard feels that its rotation policy will help strengthen the Test side rather than compromise on performance.Howard says CA aims to carefully manage the workload of individual players at a time when Australian cricket was being affected by injuries to key players due to an overdose of cricket.
All-rounder Shane Watson, paces Pat Cummins, James Pattinson and Mitchell Johnson are all out with injuries while speedster Ryan Harris and batsman Shaun Marsh have only recovered from their own ailments.
“It’s a series-by-series decision. It’s not rotating every Test, that’s not what we’re trying to do. To coin a phrase by (selector) John Inverarity: Stable but not staggered,” Howard was quoted as saying by The Age.
“We make sure that we give a nice base and foundation to the team and the squad while looking for opportunities to introduce players at different times.That’s definitely not putting out a ‘B’ team at any stage, that’s for sure,” he said.
Howard said all the players’ injuries are being individually adressed.
“Some players can last a full year and you can roll them out all year round and their bodies cope with it. Other players you know they might have a lot of injuries behind them and you do need to individually monitor them. We know bowlers are less injured these days than they were 10 years ago per 1000 balls they bowl. But we want to get that even better,” he said.
Howard said, though Australian have comprehensively beaten India in the first two Tests, there was plenty of work to do if the side was to reclaim the No.1 Test ranking.
“We don’t have short memories. We’ve had some real highs and some real lows over the past six months,” Howard said, pointing to the recent Test loss to New Zealand in Hobart as the perfect example. The Argus review talks about the stated aim is to be number one in the rankings, but that’s going to take a few years,” he said.
- Lawson criticises CA's selection policy - Nov 28, 2011
- Cummins has an uncanny similarity to Steyn: Arthur - Nov 22, 2011
- CA draws up three-year plan for Cummins - Jan 22, 2012
- Cricket Australia launches global hunt for new coach - Oct 18, 2011
- Cummins may also miss ODI series: NSW chief - Jan 09, 2012
- Australia's teen bowling sensation Cummins doubtful for India series - Dec 07, 2011
- Boots potential cause for foot injuries in pacers: CA - Jan 17, 2012
- Former rugby player named performance manager of Australian cricket - Oct 13, 2011
- South African Arthur appointed Australia's cricket coach - Nov 22, 2011
- Injured Ryan Harris to return to Australia - Nov 17, 2011
- Cowan, Cummins, Pattinson likely to earn maiden CA contracts - Jan 09, 2012
- Big Bash could affect Test team's preparations: Inverarity - Dec 21, 2011
- Cricket Australia appoints Marsh, Bichel as selectors - Nov 10, 2011
- 'Ponting contemplating retirement from ODIs' - Feb 20, 2012
- I've been dropped, not rested: Haddin - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,