Rosberg wins maiden F1 race in China, Force India draw blankApril 15th, 2012 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, April 15 (IANS) Nico Rosberg won his maiden Formula One race after coming out victorious in the Chinese Grand Prix here Sunday, giving his Mercedes team its first win since 1955. Sahara Force India’s Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg finished 12th and 15th.
Rosberg, in his 111th Grand Prix, crossed the chequered flag 20.6 seconds ahead of McLaren’s Jenson Button, who did well to gain three places from his grid position. Lewis Hamilton in the second McLaren grabbed the last podium spot after starting from seventh place.
Button also had the opportunity of winning the race but a mistake at his third and final stop ruined his chances.
Rosberg success meant the factory Mercedes team won a race since the 1955 Italian Grand Prix where Juan Manuel Fangio came on top.
“This is an unbelievable feeling. I am very happy, very excited. It has been a long time coming for me, and for the team also. It is finally there. It is amazing, and it is nice to see now how quickly we are progressing,” said Rosberg of the team he joined in 2010.
The thrilling 56-lap race also saw a disappointment for Mercedes as Michael Schumacher retired on lap 13 due to an incorrectly fitted front wheel at his first stop. The seven-time World Champion was running second at the time of the incident.
Red Bull’s Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel completed the top five.
Kimi Raikkonen struggled for grip in his Lotus, finishing 14th from fourth on the grid. Sauber’s Kamui Kobayashi also disappointed as he came 10th from third.
Force India failed to finished amongst points for the first time in the season with the car clearly lacking pace in comparison to mid-field rivals Williams and Sauber.
Di Resta still drove a good race, gaining three grid positions while teammate Hulkenberg ended a place higher.
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Force India's Hulkenberg finishes fourth in Belgium - Sep 02, 2012
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- McLaren lock front row in Italy - Sep 08, 2012
- Alonso wins dramatic Malaysian GP, Force India in top-10 - Mar 25, 2012
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Hamilton glides to Monza victory - Sep 09, 2012
- Canadian GP: Hamilton 7th different winner in 2012 - Jun 11, 2012
- Vettel wins Bahrain GP, Force India's Di Resta finishes sixth - Apr 23, 2012
- Di Resta earns four points for Force India - Sep 09, 2012
- Vettel takes pole, di Resta 10th in Bahrain - Apr 21, 2012
- Button wins in chaotic Belgian GP - Sep 02, 2012
- Maldonado wins maiden F1 race, Hulkenberg comes 10th - May 13, 2012
- Force India finish out of points at British GP - Jul 08, 2012
- Italian GP: Di Resta's 8th place puts Force India ahead of Sauber - Sep 11, 2011
Tags: chequered flag, f1 race, force india, grid position, grid positions, italian grand prix, jenson button, juan manuel fangio, kimi raikkonen, lap race, mark webber, mercedes team, michael schumacher, nico hulkenberg, nico rosberg, place button, s paul, sebastian vettel, time world champion, winning the race