Rosberg signs multi-year contract with MercedesNovember 10th, 2011 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, Nov 10 (IANS) German Formula One driver Nico Rosberg has signed a multi-year contract with the Mercedes GP team till the 2013 season and beyond.
Rosberg, along with compatriot Michael Schumacher, have been with the team ever since it was taken over from Brawn GP in 2010 and their existing contract expires at the end of the 2012 season.
“I am very excited to have extended my contract with the team,” Rosberg was quoted as saying by F1’s official website.
“To win in a Silver Arrow will be one of the highlights of my life so far, and I greatly enjoy helping to lead our team in our quest to become the best in Formula One.
“I have every confidence that the team will provide me with a winning car, and that we will be able to contribute to the fantastic racing heritage of the Silver Arrows. I look forward to great times in the years ahead with the Mercedes-Benz family.”
Rosberg has scored three podiums and 217 points for Mercedes since the 2010 season. The 26-year-old made his F1 debut with Williams back in 2007.
Team principal Ross Brawn said Rosberg was given contract extension as he has the potential to win races and championships.
“We are delighted to have extended our contract with Nico as we know that he is a driver who can win races and championships,” said Brawn. “Nico has performed exceptionally well over the past two seasons, achieving results at the very limit of the technical capabilities of our current car.
“He has an excellent work ethic and, together with Michael, this gives us a driver pairing who consistently push the team to improve and progress. As we continue to strengthen our team for the future, we look forward to providing Nico with a car which will enable him to compete right at the front of the field and achieve his deserved first win in Formula One,” he added.
Rosberg is seventh in the current drivers’ standings, five ahead of Schumacher, who is eighth in the table with 70 points. Both will be in action at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix during the weekend.
- Rosberg joins Mercedes, Brawn rules out Schumacher - Nov 23, 2009
- Schumacher confident of podium finish driving his new F1 car - Feb 02, 2011
- Rosberg not afraid of Schumacher; expects exciting F1 season - Jan 04, 2010
- Mercedes to unveil new Formula One car next month - Jan 14, 2011
- I have come back to be No.1 again: Schumacher - Oct 27, 2011
- Schumacher returns to F1 with Mercedes - Dec 24, 2009
- Schumacher told to justify 29 million pound salary at Mercedes - Oct 10, 2010
- New venues invariably slotted at end - Oct 25, 2011
- Ross Brawn criticises Button for leaving his F1 team - Apr 27, 2010
- Hamilton eyes victories in Abu Dhabi, Brazil - Nov 06, 2011
- Schumi has lost the edge, says old rival Frentzen - Dec 20, 2011
- Schumacher top overtaker in 2011 F1 season - Dec 25, 2011
- Monaco GP: Webber on pole, Hulkenberg miss top-10 - May 26, 2012
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Schumacher remains upbeat despite 10th place finish - Mar 29, 2010
Tags: abu dhabi, compatriot, confidence, contract extension, f1 debut, formula one, german formula, gp team, heritage, mercedes benz, michael schumacher, podiums, ross brawn, silver arrow, silver arrows, team principal, team rosberg, technical capabilities, two seasons, work ethic