Rooney pulls out of FA Cup semi-final with a fractured footApril 18th, 2009 - 7:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.18 (ANI): Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney has been ruled out of tomorrow’s FA Cup semi-final amid fears he that has a fractured metatarsal.
Club coach Alex Ferguson is set to throw in Federico Macheda for his first start at Wembley.
Ferguson admitted that he would make changes after the midweek Champions League win over Porto - in which Rooney was seen limping briefly - with one eye on next Wednesday’s league game against Pompey.
By pitching Macheda, 17, Ferguson is putting his remarkable unbeaten record in FA Cup semi-finals on the line. Ferguson has won all eight of his previous semi-final ties, with four going to replays.
He believes Everton could prove the sternest test yet with David Moyes desperate to underline seven years of impressive progress at Goodison Park by winning his first trophy.
Ferguson accepts he will be open to criticism if he doesn’t field his strongest team but argues that United’s overloaded fixture list means he has to rotate his players. (ANI)
- Fergie, Man U board to fight Roo's two-match FA ban - Apr 05, 2011
- Ferguson 'spitting mad' after getting five-match touchline ban - Mar 17, 2011
- Ferguson to resume bid for Everton star Jack Rodwell - Feb 19, 2011
- Macheda's goal will galvanise Ronaldo, ManU to win Quintuple: Ferguson - Apr 07, 2009
- Ferguson charges FA of devaluing tournament - Mar 16, 2009
- Adebayor, Terry call for goal-line technology - Apr 16, 2012
- Premier League agree to change fixtures for FA Cup final - Feb 03, 2012
- Roo says Everton fans' giving him hell makes him play better - Apr 17, 2009
- Rooney blames West Ham supporters 'personal' abuse for his TV camera rant - Apr 06, 2011
- Rooney wants Man U star Giggs to be knighted - Apr 14, 2011
- Ferguson warns Man U against complacency - May 04, 2011
- Fergie tell Man City: Can you handle big occasion - Apr 16, 2011
- Wenger confident of overtaking Arsenal in Premier League points standing - Apr 04, 2011
- Saha admits being one of the unluckiest players of his generation - Feb 21, 2010
- Ferguson agrees to allow striker Macheda to go out on loan - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: alex ferguson, champions league, club coach, coach alex, fa cup semi finals, fears, federico macheda, fixture list, impressive progress, league game, manchester united, metatarsal, pompey, porto, replays, seven years, trophy, unbeaten record, wayne rooney, wembley