Rooney loses one million pound Mercedes dealApril 13th, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 13 (ANI): Auto giant Mercedes-Benz in a cost-cutting measure has axed Wayne Rooney, leaving the millionaire English striker in a credit crunch.
The dad-to-be, 23, signed a one million pound two-year deal with the luxury car brand last summer, but was reportedly axed by the company last week in a cost-cutting measure.
As well as the cash, Wayne was also handed several top-of-the-range Mercedes to keep, along with a chauffeur-driven car to ferry him to engagements.
But now the Manchester United player may be forced to buy his own transport after losing the megabucks deal, it is claimed, the Daily Star reported.
A source at Mercedes said last night: “Wayne has been quietly dropped from Mercedes. We are not making a big deal about it. The company is making cutbacks and could not be seen to be paying 500,000 pounds a year for Wayne Rooney to endorse it.”
“Like everyone else, Mercedes is feeling the pinch, and cutting back on celebrity brand endorsement,” the source added.
When the Mercedes deal was announced last year many critics were surprised at the brand’s choice of ambassador.
Brand analyst Peter York said at the time: “Ordinarily you’d expect Mercedes to choose someone aspirational and classy to advertise its cars, and it’s fair to say that Wayne Rooney doesn’t fit into that category.”
Mercedes-Benz said on Sunday: “We never disclose details of arrangements made with individuals.” (ANI)
- Mercedes-Benz sales soar - Apr 05, 2012
- Mercedes-Benz India to hike car prices from May 1 - Apr 26, 2011
- Benz is Britain's favourite consumer super brand - Feb 28, 2011
- Mercedes and Jaypee Sports launch performance driving academy - Jan 04, 2012
- Mercedes launches the next-generation SLK 350 - Aug 11, 2011
- Mercedes to increase investments to Rs.850 crore - Sep 05, 2012
- Daimler AG gets RBI nod for non-banking finance company - Apr 25, 2011
- Mercedes-Benz launches new M-Class in India - May 15, 2012
- Mercedes-Benz sells 90 C-class cars' to Carzonrent - Jul 18, 2011
- British military officials using choppers as taxis - Aug 21, 2011
- Biggest Mercedes-Benz deal in a day in Aurangabad - Oct 15, 2010
- Rooney test drives a 64K pound BMW - Apr 29, 2009
- Mercedes Benz registers 40 percent sales growth - Sep 02, 2011
- Mercedes August sales zoom 112 percent - Sep 08, 2010
- Madonna axes board of directors of her Raising Malawi charity - Apr 03, 2011
Tags: ambassador, aspirational, car brand, cars, celebrity, chauffeur driven car, credit crunch, dad, daily star, endorsement, engagements, feeling the pinch, giant, luxury car, manchester united player, mercedes benz, millionaire, one million, striker, wayne rooney