Rooney loses one million pound Mercedes deal

April 13th, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by ANI  

London, Apr 13 (ANI): Auto giant Mercedes-Benz in a cost-cutting measure has axed Wayne Rooney, leaving the millionaire English striker in a credit crunch.

The dad-to-be, 23, signed a one million pound two-year deal with the luxury car brand last summer, but was reportedly axed by the company last week in a cost-cutting measure.

As well as the cash, Wayne was also handed several top-of-the-range Mercedes to keep, along with a chauffeur-driven car to ferry him to engagements.

But now the Manchester United player may be forced to buy his own transport after losing the megabucks deal, it is claimed, the Daily Star reported.

A source at Mercedes said last night: “Wayne has been quietly dropped from Mercedes. We are not making a big deal about it. The company is making cutbacks and could not be seen to be paying 500,000 pounds a year for Wayne Rooney to endorse it.”

“Like everyone else, Mercedes is feeling the pinch, and cutting back on celebrity brand endorsement,” the source added.

When the Mercedes deal was announced last year many critics were surprised at the brand’s choice of ambassador.

Brand analyst Peter York said at the time: “Ordinarily you’d expect Mercedes to choose someone aspirational and classy to advertise its cars, and it’s fair to say that Wayne Rooney doesn’t fit into that category.”

Mercedes-Benz said on Sunday: “We never disclose details of arrangements made with individuals.” (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |