Ronaldo retiresFebruary 15th, 2011 - 7:01 am ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo, Feb 15 (IANS/EFE) Brazil’s soccer icon Ronaldo Nazario, shed a few tears as he announced his retirement citing “some important reasons”, which include his interminable injuries and problems caused by hypothyroidism.”Today I come to say that I’m closing my career as a professional player. It was a beautiful, wonderful, emotional career. I had a lot of defeats, a lot of victories, I made many friends and I don’t remember making any enemies,” the 34-year-old striker told a press conference in Sao Paulo Monday.
“It’s very hard to say goodbye to something that made me so happy, that I loved so much and with which I wanted to continue, because psychologically I really want to, but I have to accept some losses. I lost for my body’s sake,” said Ronaldo, the three-time winner of the world’s best soccer player award.
Accompanied by his two children, Alex and Ronald, and the president of his current club Corinthians, Andres Sanchez, the man who helped lead Brazil to two World Cup championships said that his history of injuries is public knowledge.
“Everyone knows my history of injuries: if it wasn’t one leg it was the other, if it wasn’t one muscle it was another…and these pains made me end my career sooner than I would have liked,” he said.
Ronaldo said that problems caused by the hypothyroidism that was diagnosed four years ago and that he always kept secret was also a consideration in his decision.
“Four years ago when I was with Milan, I found out I was suffering from hypothyroidism, an ailment that slows the metabolism, and I knew that to control it I had to take some hormones that are banned in soccer,” he said.
“A lot of people should regret now that they made so much fun of my weight, but I’m not mad at anyone,” the footballer, who played for clubs such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan and AC Milan said, referring to the criticism for his weight.
He said his future is already decided and that he will divide it between a sports promotion agency and a soon-to-be-established charitable foundation.
- Ricky Martin expresses his admiration for Miss Universe - Aug 30, 2011
- Brazilian footballer gets jail for torching his house - Jul 05, 2012
- Ronaldinho out of Brazil squad - May 12, 2012
- Soccer player dies during match in Brazil - Jul 09, 2012
- Adriano to have surgery on left foot - Apr 07, 2012
- Brazil's ex-president discharged from hospital - Feb 18, 2012
- Ceni upstages Pele as Brazil's greatest - Aug 29, 2012
- Former Chelsea boss Villas-Boas in talks with Sao Paulo - Jun 09, 2012
- Armed Brazilian demands bank returns her $25 - Aug 03, 2012
- Brazil winger Lucas joins PSG for 43 million euros - Aug 09, 2012
- Brazilian assured of bronze in women's boxing - Aug 07, 2012
- I was a bad singer when I started out: Julio Iglesias - Oct 10, 2011
- Corinthians chasing AC Milan striker Pato - Apr 25, 2012
- Ricky Martin, Julieta Venegas captivate Brazil - Aug 29, 2011
- Sao Paulo signs Assuncao from Atletico Madrid - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: ac milan, ailment, barcelona real madrid, best soccer player, corinthians, current club, efe, footballer, hard to say goodbye, hormones, hypothyroidism, inter milan, professional player, promotion agency, public knowledge, ronaldo, sports promotion, striker, time winner, world cup championships