Ronaldo released by Portugal because of ankle injuryNovember 11th, 2009 - 8:21 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, Nov 11 (DPA) Cristiano Ronaldo has returned to Madrid after the Portuguese football federation had confirmed his badly sprained right ankle, which will need two more weeks to recover.
Ronaldo, 24, had been called up by Portugal to play in next week’s World Cup play-offs against Bosnia, despite his club, Ral Madrid, insisting that he was injured.
The world’s most expensive player flew off to Lisbon early Tuesday for medical checks, which confirmed to the Portuguese federation that he was not in condition to return to action until the end of November.
Real were keen for him to return straight away to Madrid in order to continue with his recuperation, instead of staying in Lisbon to cheer on his compatriots, who face Bosnia in the first leg Saturday.
Real president Florentino Perez put a private airplane at Ronaldo’s disposal. Perez smashed the world tranfer record in June when he paid Manchester United 94 million euros ($140.56 million) for Ronaldo.
Ronaldo originally suffered the sprained ankle playing for Real against Olympique Marseille Sep 30. He aggravated the injury playing for Portugal against Hungary Oct 10.
Real hope he will be fit for the Nov 29 “clasico” away to Spanish leaders Barcelona.
- Portugal plan to call Cristiano Ronaldo despite injury - Nov 06, 2009
- Real Madrid, Portugal worried about Ronaldo injury - Nov 06, 2009
- Ankle operation not necessary for Cristiano Ronaldo - Nov 06, 2009
- Injured Ronaldo to miss Portugal's World Cup play-off - Nov 11, 2009
- Real Madrid and Portugal go to war over Cristiano Ronaldo - Nov 09, 2009
- Queiroz leading next Portuguese generation (Group G team profile) - Jun 01, 2010
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Real Madrid crash out of cup against third-division Alcorcon - Nov 11, 2009
- Queiroz struggling to repeat Portugal's glory years (Team Profile) - Nov 30, 2009
- Focused on helping Real win La Liga: Ronaldo - Nov 18, 2011
- Real Madrid, AC Milan chiefs meet to decide Kaka's future - Aug 07, 2012
- Real Madrid face Valencia test in La Liga - Nov 18, 2011
- Ronaldo predicts all-Spanish final - Apr 07, 2012
- Injured Ronaldo ruled out of clash with Sevilla - Oct 04, 2009
- Ronaldo no more on Real Madrid's purchase list - May 29, 2009
Tags: ankle injury, barcelona, bosnia, compatriots, early tuesday, florentino perez, hungary, lisbon, madrid, manchester united, marseille, medical checks, play offs, portuguese federation, portuguese football federation, private airplane, recuperation, ronaldo, united 94, world cup