Ronaldo no more on Real Madrid’s purchase listMay 29th, 2009 - 12:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 29 (ANI): Ace striker Cristiano Ronaldo is officially off Real Madrid’s radar as his Manchester United received a welcome lift after their Champions League final defeat.
Florentino Perez, who will now be unopposed in Real’s presidential elections, yesterday briefed Spanish journalists that AC Milan’s Kaka has replaced Ronaldo as club’s No.1 summer target.
The news that Real are dropping their year-long pursuit of Ronaldo will come as a big relief to United, who returned yesterday from Rome after being beaten by Barcelona.
Ronaldo, however, is likely to have some explaining to do to manager Sir Alex Ferguson after his post-match outburst to a Portuguese radio station that United “had got their tactics wrong” in the final.
It followed his petulant reaction at being substituted in the Manchester derby earlier this month, the Daily Express reported.
Ferguson will also be unhappy that Ronaldo is again fuelling rumours that he wants a move by failing to nail his allegiance to United after Wednesday’s final.
As he turned his thoughts to Portugal’s World Cup qualifier against Albania a week from Saturday, he said: “About clubs, I do not want to talk about that. I don’t know. My [immediate] future is now with the national squad so we can win the game against Albania and improve our position in our qualifying group.”
“But I want to rest and go on holiday. I have played a lot of games under a lot of pressure this season and I am very tired.”
Zinedine Zidane, who will become Real’s sporting director when Perez takes over, has made it clear that he prefers France international Ribery, currently at Bayern Munich.
Perez is also ready to swoop for Villarreal coach Manuel Pellegrini as a successor to Juande Ramos. (ANI)
- Pellegrini new Real Madrid coach - Jun 02, 2009
- Zidane wants Ribery to join Real Madrid not Man U - Jun 15, 2009
- Bayern Munich tell Ferguson he must give 'crazy' offer to bag Ribery - Jun 13, 2009
- Madrid eyes Wenger, Loew after fallout with Mourinho - Jan 25, 2012
- Return of Perez raises expectations at Real Madrid - May 30, 2009
- Mourinho commits future to Madrid after Champions League failure - Apr 26, 2012
- Real Madrid preparing 50 million pound swoop for Rooney - Oct 18, 2010
- Zinedine Zidane won't say sorry to Materazzi: 'I'd rather die' - Mar 02, 2010
- Man U's Fergie could have signed French star Ribery for free - Jun 17, 2009
- Real Madrid prepare to take on Ajax in Champions League - Sep 26, 2011
- Fans of Real Madrid asking for winter signings - Dec 03, 2009
- Real Madrid to make 20 million pound bid for Vidic - Dec 30, 2009
- Ribery starts on the bench against India - Jan 10, 2012
- Ronaldo urges Mourinho not to leave Real Madrid - Apr 16, 2011
- Manchester United wants 85 million pounds from Real Madrid for Ronaldo's transfer - Jun 11, 2009
Tags: ac milan, alex ferguson, bayern munich, daily express, florentino perez, france international, immediate future, manchester united, manuel pellegrini, portuguese radio, presidential elections, qualifying group, real madrid, ronaldo, sir alex ferguson, spanish journalists, target, villarreal, world cup qualifier, zinedine zidane