Ronaldo could miss Manchester United’s pre-season trainingJune 9th, 2009 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 9 (IANS) Manchester United forward Christiano Ronaldo could miss the team’s pre-season training as he returned to his home island of Madeira in Portugal complaining of pain in the lower abdomen after Saturday’s World Cup qualifying victory over Albania in Tirana.
Portuguese team doctor Henrique Jones has diagnosed Ronaldo with a groin injury.
The United winger has informed Manchester United’s medical team of his injury while his results are still awaited. Ronaldo is also keen to undergo surgery to get fit to resume training when United’s first-team squad report back July 6 following their summer break.
Portugal manager Carlos Queiroz, who was a football manager Alex Ferguson’s assistant at Old Trafford, has granted Ronaldo permission to miss the Estonia game in Tallinn.
United’s medical team hope that a period of rest, rather than surgery, will cure the injury, but if tests confirm a hernia, an operation and three to four weeks of rehabilitation would be required to resolve the injury.
- Ronaldo to go for hernia operation, likely to miss match against Estonia - Jun 09, 2009
- Real Madrid, Portugal worried about Ronaldo injury - Nov 06, 2009
- Knee injury sidelines Phil Jones for up to eight weeks - Sep 09, 2012
- Portugal can be a surprise, says Cristano Ronaldo - Jun 09, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Man U midfielder Anderson eyes return to Porto - Oct 13, 2010
- Portugal plan to call Cristiano Ronaldo despite injury - Nov 06, 2009
- Man U's Nani on the way out of club? - Dec 03, 2009
- Portugal, Ireland book Euro 2012 berth - Nov 16, 2011
- Brazil officials deny Manchester United deal for Lucas - Aug 06, 2012
- Nani ruled out of Portugal's World Cup 2010 campaign - Jun 08, 2010
- Villa the match-winner again as Spain dominate Portugal (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Real Madrid and Portugal go to war over Cristiano Ronaldo - Nov 09, 2009
- Groin injury keeps Robben out of Euro 2012 qualifiers - Oct 06, 2011
- Germans jittery but fully fit for Euro 2012 - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: alex ferguson, carlos queiroz, football manager, groin injury, henrique, hernia, madeira, manager alex ferguson, manchester united, medical team, old trafford, pain in the lower abdomen, pre season training, ronaldo, summer break, tallinn, team doctor, team hope, tirana, winger