Ronaldo claims Ferguson understood his reasons for joining Real MadridJune 23rd, 2009 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 23 (ANI): Ace striker Cristiano Ronaldo has insisted that Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson understood his reasons for joining Real Madrid in a world-record 80 million pound transfer.
Ferguson finally conceded defeat in his desperate bid to keep hold of the Portugal ace, after Ronaldo made it clear he wanted to join the Spanish giants.
“I want to take this opportunity to tell the fans of Manchester United that the important people at the club understood my reasons and that it was a mutual agreement because everyone understood my will to leave,” The Sun quoted Ronaldo, as saying.
Ronaldo admitted he had dreamt of playing for Real Madrid since boyhood. “Real Madrid was always a club where I wanted to play. I want to start very strongly to play my football and thank Real Madrid for everything they did for me. It will be great to play with Kaka.”
“He’s a great player and has also won the Golden Ball. It will give me great pride to play alongside him but also with Raul, Iker Casillas or Guti,” he added.
Ronaldo has already passed his medical test with flying colours, although he insisted that there are still a few details to be ironed out in his 250,000 pounds-a-week six-year contract.
Ronaldo, whose deal should be completed by July 8, is ready to lead Madrid back to winning ways after a barren season, and appeared confident he will live up to his price tag.
“The start will be a bit complicated because I was in Manchester for six years. In England, football is more physical and faster but that is not an excuse. When we are good players we have to adapt to any type of football and I hope I can adapt as soon as possible. Winning trophies is the goal. Madrid is used to winning, as is Manchester United.” (ANI)
- Ronaldo hints at Real Madrid exit - Apr 29, 2010
- Man U's bemused Fergie tells shifty Roo to respect club and its traditions - Oct 20, 2010
- Ronaldo urges Mourinho not to leave Real Madrid - Apr 16, 2011
- Ronaldo hopes to end his career at Madrid - Sep 07, 2011
- Fergie says he would spend 60 m pounds only on Ronaldo - May 02, 2010
- 'Rooney better than Messi and Ronaldo' - Apr 30, 2011
- Man U's financial worries "sadden" Cristiano Ronaldo - Feb 14, 2010
- Mourinho commits future to Madrid after Champions League failure - Apr 26, 2012
- Mourinho dreams to manage Rooney - May 29, 2010
- Ronaldo advises Balotelli to 'talk less and think about playing more' - Jan 26, 2011
- Money not the root of my sadness: Ronaldo - Sep 05, 2012
- Man U lack 'Cristiano Ronaldo' factor: Ferguson - Apr 29, 2011
- Tottenham could sell Gareth Bale - Apr 10, 2011
- 'I don't think Rooney would want to join me at Bernabeu,' says Ronaldo - Apr 18, 2010
- Rooney is England's Maradona - Jan 30, 2010
Tags: ace, alex ferguson, boyhood, england football, excuse, flying colours, giants, guti, iker casillas, june 23, manchester united, medical test, price tag, raul, real madrid, ronaldo, sir alex ferguson, trophies, winning ways, world record