Ronaldo can be Beckham-style money machine for Real MadridMay 31st, 2009 - 12:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 31 (ANI): Real Madrid president Florentino Perez believes that ace striker Cristiano Ronaldo can be a David Beckham-style money machine for the Spanish club.
Perez, who will be the club’s new president again, took David Beckham to Spain in 2003 and made the Spanish club the richest club in the world.
Now, he is planning to build a new team of Galacticos, and reckons Ronaldo will get the cash tills ringing again, News of the World reported.
AC Milan’s Kaka is Real Madrid’s top target this season, but Perez wants Ronaldo as well to help reclaim their position as the world’s biggest club.
“We have to make up for lost time. When Beckham came we went from earning seven million euros a year to 45 a year through deals with our sponsors. We salvaged the situation of the club. If Cristiano Ronaldo comes, even though Nike currently sponsors him, he then puts on an Adidas shirt every week,” Perez said.
“There are certain players who are very profitable because they have spectacular commercial repercussions that earn the club money. We once earned 15million euros for two games in Japan. Now they would not pay that but in that era we had Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo and Beckham.
“It’ll take time to build a team like that because there are not the immediate resources but we have to bring five or six new players,” he added. (ANI)
- Fans of Real Madrid asking for winter signings - Dec 03, 2009
- Man City never big enough to bid for me: Kaka - Jun 28, 2009
- Real Madrid, AC Milan chiefs meet to decide Kaka's future - Aug 07, 2012
- Real Madrid welcome Benzema, prepare to sell Huntelaar - Jul 10, 2009
- Kaka on Galaxy radar to replace Beckham - Aug 18, 2012
- Return of Perez raises expectations at Real Madrid - May 30, 2009
- Real Madrid likely to make over 500 million pounds marketing Ronaldo - Jun 12, 2009
- Beckham persuaded me to join Real Madrid: Kaka - Jun 09, 2009
- Real Madrid still hoping to snare Man U's Ronaldo - Jun 10, 2009
- Chelsea now eyeing to sign Real Madrid midfielder Kaka - Mar 06, 2011
- Why is Cristiano sad despite winning? - Sep 03, 2012
- Man U ready to sell Ronaldo to Real for 75m quid - Jun 05, 2009
- Money not the root of my sadness: Ronaldo - Sep 05, 2012
- Real Madrid still wants Ronaldo - Jun 03, 2009
- Cristiano Ronaldo arrives in Madrid for Real presentation - Jul 06, 2009
Tags: ac milan, ace, cash tills, club money, david beckham, florentino perez, galacticos, immediate resources, kaka, money machine, new president, news of the world, nike, real madrid, repercussions, ronaldo, spain, spanish club, target, two games