Ronaldinho denies indiscipline chargeJune 4th, 2012 - 4:42 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, June 4 (IANS) Ronaldinho has denied accusations of indiscipline at Flamengo and says delayed payments were his prime reason for leaving the club.
Ronaldinho quit Flamengo Thursday and is suing the Rio de Janeiro outfit for $20 million in unpaid wages and image rights.
Flamengo’s football manager Zinho Friday lambasted the former Barcelona and AC Milan star’s regular absences from training and even accused him of arriving at one session under the influence of alcohol.
“At the worst, I arrived at training tired sometimes, which is what happens to many players,” Ronaldinho was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“But I have always been professional and never arrived at a session in an unsuitable state to train. I have played nearly every game for the club this year,” he said.
The 32-year-old also denied reports he took a female guest back to the team hotel in the pre-season and said he never had a problem with former coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo.
“I never fought with him,” he said. “When we were winning games last year, nobody said anything.”
When asked about the delayed wages, the two-time FIFA world player of the year said: “It was the final straw. There were several delayed payments.”
He denied the club’s failure to pay him had anything to do with his own inconsistent form this season.
“When we enter the pitch, everything is forgotten,” he added.
- Ronaldinho in hot water at Flamengo - Jan 19, 2012
- Flamengo's fans frustrated with Libertadores loss - Jan 26, 2012
- Ronaldinho quits Flamengo, sues club for unpaid wages - Jun 01, 2012
- Flamengo sacks coach Santana - Jul 24, 2012
- Flamengo threatens to sue Palmeiras - Jun 03, 2012
- Flamengo fires head coach Luxemburgo - Feb 03, 2012
- Luxemburgo signs up to coach Gremio - Feb 22, 2012
- Fans want Ronaldinho out of Flamengo - Apr 07, 2012
- Brazil club files $20 mn case against Ronaldinho - Jun 21, 2012
- Apologetic Adriano receives warning - Sep 05, 2012
- Ronaldinho signs up with Atletico Mineiro - Jun 05, 2012
- Riquelme in talks with Brazil's Flamengo - Jul 08, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico Mineiro debut postponed - Jun 06, 2012
- Ronaldinho's debut for Atletico Mineiro debut put off - Jun 07, 2012
- No decision yet on Adriano, says Flamengo president - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: absences, ac milan, accusations, alcohol, failure, final straw, flamengo, football manager, former coach, game, games, image rights, pitch, prime reason, rio de janeiro, ronaldinho, team hotel, unpaid wages, world player of the year, xinhua