Rome, Nov 30 (DPA) Struggling Lecce rallied to snatch a 1-1 draw from Catania in the Serie A.November 30th, 2008 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
Forward Michele Paolucci scored his fourth goal of the season to put the Sicilians ahead in the second half before substitute Jose Castillo levelled for Lecce Saturday.Catania went into the match with Lecce boasting six wins from their seven home games and nearly went in front on seven minutes through a Gianvito Plasmati header but goalkeeper Francesco Benussi pulled off a marvelous save.
A first chance for Lecce went begging in the 13th minute as striker Simone Tiribocchi shot wide, while Lorenzo Stovini squandered an opportunity for Catania, firing a volley over the bar after Benussi slapped away a corner kick.
Catania started the second half the stronger of the two sides and should have gone in front in the 53rd minute but Paolucci’s shot came back off a post.
The striker made amends in the 61st minute, firing past Benussi from a narrow angle.
The 68th-minute substitution of Uruguay’s Guillermo Giacomazzi with Castillo proved crucial for Lecce as the Argentine levelled matters with a low shot one minute after coming on.
Catania could have won the game with two minutes left but Benussi saved from Paolucci.
The draw keeps Catania in a comfortable mid-table position after 14 Serie A games, while Lecce hover two points above the three-team relegation zone.
A later match in Turin pits giants Juventus against minnows Reggina. Juve are looking to bounce back after slipping six points from leaders Inter Milan, who beat them 1-0 last weekend.
- Inter Milan celebrate title triumph with an easy win - May 18, 2009
- Inter Milan beat Catania to retain Serie A lead - Oct 25, 2009
- Juventus, AC Milan keep pace with leaders Inter Milan - Dec 08, 2008
- Juventus beat Lazio to reach top of Italian Serie A - Nov 27, 2011
- Inter Milan move atop Serie A - Sep 25, 2008
- Camoranesi strikes a brace as Juventus hammer Atalanta - Nov 08, 2009
- Catania game against Roma suspended due to rain - Jan 15, 2012
- Reggina still last in Serie A, but in good form - May 03, 2009
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- Juventus surpass Milan to top Serie A - Apr 08, 2012
- AC Milan only chasers of Inter Milan after win at Juventus - Jan 11, 2010
- Nine men enough for Inter Milan to dominate city derby - Jan 25, 2010
- Lecce sack coach after held by Reggina - Mar 10, 2009
- Udinese top Serie A as Milan held by Bologna - Dec 12, 2011