Rome is Italy’s candidate for 2020 Olympic bidMay 20th, 2010 - 7:36 am ICT by IANS
Rome, May 20 (IANS) Rome has beat Venice to became Italy’s official candidate for the 2020 summer Olympic Games.
The decision was taken by the Italian Olympic Committee, following a voting procedure that granted the candidature to the national capital, after Rome got 68 out of 70 votes, Xinhua reported Thursday citing a statement from Rome’s City Hall.
“Rome has a greater logistic, infrastructural and organisational backbone than Venice,” the committee said in a statement.
Venice’s Olympic project had to start from scrap, while Rome had the advantage of having pre-existing structures built when the city hosted the 1960 Olympics. This experience guaranteed that Rome will respect building deadlines, it said.
Venice was also penalised by the fact that several sport venues would have to be built on the islands facing the city, thus reachable solely by boat.
“To organise the Olympics and upgrade the existing sport infrastructure, we only need 1.5 billion euro of public funds. The rest will be financed by private sponsors and firms,” Gianni Alemanno, mayor of Rome, was quoted as saying.
Other cities that are bidding for the 2020 games are Tokyo, Istanbul, Lima and Durban. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will announce the winner in Buenos Aires in 2013.
- Six cities bid for 2020 Olympics - Sep 03, 2011
- Tokyo excited to be in race for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Istanbul, Madrid, Tokyo vie for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Madrid officially launches bid for 2020 Olympics - Jan 31, 2012
- Rome holds gay tennis tournament - Oct 01, 2010
- Japan to bid for 2020 Olympics - Apr 11, 2011
- Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sport - Feb 11, 2012
- Rome forced to drop bid for 2020 Olympics - Feb 15, 2012
- Georgia submits formal bid for 2020 Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Spanish Olympic Chief: Why we need 2020 Games - Nov 29, 2011
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
- IOC concerned over progress of work in Rio - Jun 07, 2012
- IOC respects Lukashenko ban: Rogge - Jul 27, 2012
- Brazil lobbies for surfing at Rio 2016 Olympics - Apr 05, 2012
- Ski Halfpipe to be part of 2014 Olympics - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: 1960 olympics, backbone, candidature, city hall, durban, international olympic committee, ioc, istanbul, italian olympic committee, olympic bid, olympic games, olympic project, olympics, private sponsors, rome, sport infrastructure, sport venues, summer olympic games, venice, xinhua