Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sportFebruary 11th, 2012 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Feb 11 (IANS) Football legend and current Brazilian congressman Romario was named as the ambassador of footvolley by the Brazilian Confederation of Footvolley (CBFv).
Romario has made it his goal to make the sport an Olympic event in the 2020 Games.
Footvolley is a combination of football and volleyball and is played in the sand. Brazilians have made the sport popular worldwide, but the sport is yet to be recognized by the Brazilian Olympic Committee, Xinhua reported.
For the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to introduce a new sport to the Games, the activity must be practiced on a minimum of four continents with no fewer than 75 countries participating in the modality.
Six countries are currently in the bid to host the 2020 Olympic Games. They are Baku, Azerbaijan; Doha, Qatar; Istanbul, Turkey; Madrid, Spain; Rome, Italy and Tokyo, Japan.
Apart from trying to spread the sport’s popularity, the 46-year-old will also act as the ambassador to the Footvolley ‘four-on-four’ World Cup that will take place in Rio de Janeiro from March 8 to 10.
The athlete will also participate in the tournament, leading one of the Brazilian teams while Renato Gaucho will play on the other.
Curitiba, the capital of the Brazilian state of Parana will host the 2012 Footvolley World Cup, March 25.
- Brazil win 2012 footvolley World Cup - Mar 11, 2012
- Romario asks government to sack national coach - Sep 21, 2012
- Brazil's Olympic team rubbish: Romario - Jul 06, 2012
- Romario boasts he's better than Messi, Maradona - Mar 18, 2012
- Brazil hopes 2016 Olympics will boost industry - Jul 19, 2012
- Cisco to invest $545 mn in Brazil - Apr 04, 2012
- Six cities bid for 2020 Olympics - Sep 03, 2011
- Romario supports Ronaldo's run for president of CBF - Mar 24, 2012
- Brazil to cede 2015 Copa America to Chile - Mar 24, 2012
- Georgia, Azerbaijan to jointly bid for Euro 2020 - Mar 07, 2012
- Brazil eyes 20 medals at London Games - Jul 25, 2012
- Ronaldinho threatens strike due to delayed payment - Jan 12, 2012
- Azerbaijan joins Georgia in joint bidding for Euro 2020 - May 26, 2012
- Brazilian soccer heroes look to politics - Sep 24, 2010
- Infrastructure on track for 2014 World Cup in Brazil - Sep 15, 2011
Tags: baku azerbaijan, brazilian state, brazilian teams, brazilians, doha qatar, football legend, footvolley, four continents, international olympic committee, istanbul turkey, madrid spain, new sport, olympic event, olympic games, olympic sport, rio de janeiro, romario, rome italy, tokyo japan, xinhua