Roma set eyes on cup final after victory over UdineseFebruary 5th, 2010 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Feb 5 (DPA) Roma took a step towards securing the Italian Cup final Thursday through a 2-0 win over guests Udinese in a first-leg semi-final.
Montenegro’s Mirko Vucinic and Frenchman Philippe Mexes scored first-half goals to seal a convincing win at Rome’s Stadio Olimpico.
Coach Claudio Ranieri pulled no punches and fielded his best men, including the recovering Francesco Totti, but with the exception of the injured Luca Toni, as Roma look to win a record-setting 10th cup.
Their lead on 12 minutes stemmed from a long, precise assist from Daniele De Rossi to set up Vucinic for a counter attack that the Montenegrin topped with a low flick to the left of Slovenian Samir Handanovic.
Roma held control in midfield and ran minor risks as Udinese strikers Antonio Di Natale and Antonio Floro Flores had no chances to worry Brazil custodian Alexander Doni.
Despite struggling in the home league’s lower reaches, Udinese stunned AC Milan 1-0 in the quarter-finals, but failed to reply to the good game played at the Giuseppe Meazza last week.
As on the first goal, their defence was not reactive enough on 40 minutes as they allowed Mexes to soar undisturbed and smash down a header off a free kick from Chile’s David Pizarro.
Pizarro’s compatriot Alex Sanchez missed Udinese’s first chance shortly before half-time as he saw his drive roll wide after crossing the goal mouth.
Di Natale, the Serie A joint-top striker on 13 goals next to Inter Milan’s Argentine Diego Milito, displayed poor form also in the second half, but on 63 minutes provided an assist for Sanchez, who failed to beat the onrushing Doni.
Inter Milan beat visiting Fiorentina 1-0 in the other first-leg semi on Wednesday. Second-leg games are set for April 14, while the final will be played in Rome on May 5.
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Inter held by Atalanta at home - Mar 19, 2012
- Juventus kick-off season with win - Aug 26, 2012
- Could have done better against Juventus: Udinese coach - Jan 29, 2012
- Juventus crush Udinese, Roma beat Inter - Sep 03, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- AC Milan ends Udinese's unbeaten run at home - Feb 12, 2012
- Inter Milan widen lead through win over Cagliari - Feb 08, 2010
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- Eto'o scores brace in Inter Milan's rally against Roma - Aug 22, 2010
- Genoa win tense city derby against Sampdoria - Nov 29, 2009
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- Roma struggle to keep narrow lead despite dismissal - Jan 10, 2010
- Di Natale denies Anzhi Euro triumph - Sep 21, 2012
Tags: ac milan, alex sanchez, alexander doni, antonio di natale, antonio floro flores, claudio ranieri, coach claudio, daniele de rossi, david pizarro, diego milito, francesco totti, giuseppe meazza, goal mouth, inter milan, italian cup, luca toni, mirko vucinic, philippe mexes, samir handanovic, stadio olimpico