Rohit’s innings took away the match from us: GambhirMay 12th, 2012 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 12 (IANS) Mumbai Indian (MI) batsman Rohit Sharma’s sparkling maiden ton not only won him the man of the match award at the Eden Gardens Saturday but also lavish praises from his teammates and opponents, with Kolkata Knight Riders’ (KKR) captain Gautam Gambhir saying his innings had been decisive.
“Getting a hundred is always excellent. He batted really well and his partnership with (Herschelle) Gibbs took away the match from us. We had thought of restricting them (MI) to under 160 but Rohit with his innings took away the game,” Gambhir said after his team lost out to MI by 27 runs.
“Calling his innings as excellent will be an understatement. It’s hard to describe his innings in words,” added Gambhir.
Sharma’s unbeaten 109 won the hearts of his teammates.
“I have always been a fan of Rohit, having played alongside him for couple of years for the Deccan Chargers. He has taken his cricket really forward.It is really good to see him bat the way he did today,” said Mumbai opener Gibbs who partnered Sharma to score an unbeaten partnership of 167 runs.
Gibbs called Sharma along with Virat Kohli as two potential match winners for India.
“Rohit and Virat Kohli are two big players for India who can turn real match winners for India in the years to come. Rohit, however, is technically sound than Virat,” said Gibbs.
“It’s really good to see Rohit play such an innings. I am glad he scored a century. He never slogged but played good cricket shots. He was really impressive,” added Gibbs.
- Rohit can be a good finisher: Dhoni - Mar 19, 2012
- India crushed at SCG by an innings and 68 (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2012
- India will have lot of ground to cover - Dec 01, 2011
- India on verge of innings defeat at SCG (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- Don't put pressure on Kohli, says Sachin Tendulkar - Mar 21, 2012
- Sharma blitzkrieg propels Mumbai to imposing 182 (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Its really a bad feeling: Virat Kohli - May 20, 2012
- Sharma blitzkrieg halts Knight Riders' winning streak (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Kohli, Sharma star in India's victory against West Indies - Dec 03, 2011
- Sachin to play in Asia Cup, Sehwag rested (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Gambhir, Kohli hit centuries as India set Sri Lanka 305 to chase (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Chennai ODI: Tiwary slams maiden ODI ton, India score 267/7 - Dec 11, 2011
- India ride on Kohli and Gambhir's brilliance to beat Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Rayudu, Pollard fashion sensational win for Mumbai Indians (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Good to see youngsters step up with bat and ball: Dhoni - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: batsman, chargers, cricket, deccan, eden gardens, game, gautam gambhir, hearts, herschelle gibbs, India, kkr, knight riders, kohli, match, opponents, partnership, praises, rohit sharma, teammates, understatement