Roger Milla dismissed as honorary presidentMay 18th, 2012 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Yaounde (Cameroon), May 18 (IANS) Cameroon’s legendary footballer Roger Milla was sacked as the honorary president of Cameroon football federation (FECAFOOT) after criticising the federation and its president Iya Mohamed.
During its general assembly, Milla, who led the country to be Africa’s first national team to reach the quarterfinals of the World Cup in Italy, was accused of “injurious utterances” against FECAFOOT, its president and management staff, Xinhua reported.
Last month, Milla had set up a committee to axe the current federation members and FECAFOOT president for the poor performance of the Indomitable Lions, as the national team is known as indomitables in recent years.
Milla also called for ending the ban of national squad captain Samuel Eto’o and Enoh Eyong. The two were banned last year after they revolted against the federation for non-payment of bonuses.
Cameroon last won the African Nations Cup for the fourth time in 2002. Since then, its performance has been on the decline. It is currently ranked on the 13th position in the continent and 64th position in the FIFA world ranking, both positions very unenviable to most country football fans.
- Milla wants Cameroon's football body sacked - Apr 20, 2012
- Cameroon reduce Eto'o 15-match suspension to 8 months - Jan 08, 2012
- Bolton striker Ngog to join Cameroon squad - Mar 13, 2012
- Cameroon footballers want to play in India's I-League - Sep 04, 2012
- Cameroon captain Eto'o banned for 15 matches - Dec 17, 2011
- Eto'o rejects Cameroon's invite - Aug 28, 2012
- Akono replaces Lavagne as Cameroon football coach (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Cameroon football coach Lavagne fired - Sep 14, 2012
- Cameroon's 'Indomitable Lions' ready to roar in South Africa (Group E team profile) - May 30, 2010
- Cameroon play for pride against advancing Dutch - Jun 23, 2010
- Van Persie scores as Dutch win (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2010
- Van Persie scores as Dutch win and top Group F (Lead) - Jun 25, 2010
- Nehru Cup: Syria come back twice against Cameroon (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Unprecedented scenes as India lift Nehru Cup - Sep 03, 2012
- India 169th in Fifa rankings - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: african nations cup, cameroon football federation, cameroon football federation fecafoot, captain samuel, country football, enoh, federation members, fifa world, football fans, honorary president, indomitable lions, legendary footballer, management staff, poor performance, quarterfinals, roger milla, samuel eto o, squad captain, utterances, xinhua