Roger Federer in the finals of the French OpenJune 6th, 2009 - 8:33 pm ICT by GD
With Rafael Nadal out of the tournament very early for his own liking, Roger Federer, at present placed in the second position in the ATP rankings, is the only other player likely to win the French Grand slam. For the last three years, the French title has eluded the former no.1. But he is in the finals now and with Nadal, his nemesis not around, Federer could well go on to become the sixth player to complete a sweep of all the Majors.
A win in the finals would also mean that he will be at par with the legendary Pete Sampras who has a record of 14 Grand slam crowns.
However, getting into the finals of the 2009 French Open was not so easy for the Swiss. In the semi-finals he was able to score a win over Martin del Potro, but only after a grueling and exhausting game of five sets. His semi- final win was characterized by a dramatic 3-6 7-6 (7-2) 2-6 6-1 6-4 victory.
This was not the first time in the tournament that Federer had been taken to the fifth level. In the fourth round he was taken the same distance by Tommy Hass.
Upon overcoming the final hurdle en route to the finals, the 27 year old Federer said, “It feels great to come through hard matches like these.” He further added, “It is more emotional, more satisfying. And I still feel fine.” In the early phases of the match, Federer was completely outplayed by his opponent,the 20-year-old Del Potro, although it was Porto’s maiden semifinal. But as they say “all’s well that ends well”, the semi-final ended well for Federer and we hope that so would the tournament.
- Nadal advances to US Open semi-finals - Sep 10, 2010
- Nadal to meet Federer in semis - Mar 17, 2012
- Djokovic beats Federer at Indian Wells to take world no.2 ranking - Mar 20, 2011
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Federer-Berdych set-up Madrid Open final - May 13, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal beats Youzhny to reach first US Open final - Sep 12, 2010
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Australian Open: Nadal overcomes Berdych, to meet Federer in semis (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Federer beats Del Potro to capture second title in Rotterdam - Feb 19, 2012
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- Murray will have to beat three of four top players to win Australian Open - Jan 11, 2010
Tags: atp rankings, crowns, del potro, french open, french title, game, grand slam, hurdle, liking, majors, match, nemesis, opponent, pete sampras, porto, rafael nadal, roger federer, semi finals, tommy hass, victory