Roebuck’s family calls for second probeDecember 5th, 2011 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Dec 5 (IANS) Peter Roebuck’s family has asked for a second post-mortem examination, claiming that the cricketer-turned-commentator would not have committed suicide.
They have already hired a British criminal lawyer who arrived in South Africa this weekend to look into Roebuck’s death.
Roebuck fell from a sixth-floor hotel room in Cape Town Nov 12.
The cricket commentator’s widowed mother and siblings reportedly said his final communication to them revealed no indications that he would take his own life.
“We need to obtain some facts,” Beatrice Roebuck, his sister, was quoted as saying in The Times.
“Peter was on record as saying that he would never commit suicide and all the information we have is being played out in the media.”
“We are not coming to any conclusion straight away, but we want our lawyer to look at the hotel room Peter was in and to find out where we stand with the investigations into his death.”
The newspaper claims it has seen Roebuck’s final e-mail to his mother in which he had expressed an interest in spending more time in England and wrote about looking ahead to Christmas.
“The window arrangements in his hotel are questionable. A window in this kind of air-conditioned building is not easy to open. If it was open and Peter was sitting on the sill, he could have fallen out. Was he in the bathroom? We heard straight away that his death was suicide, but conclusions were reached immediately and we do not have a coroner’s report. Some lovely things have been written about Peter, but also some vile things. We want Peter’s name to remain a good name,” she said.
- Roebuck was being questioned for sexual assault: Reports - Nov 14, 2011
- Sex with Facebook friend adds new twist to Roebuck's death - Nov 14, 2011
- Radio host claims Roebuck made him feel uncomfortable - Nov 15, 2011
- 'Roebuck was in state of utter despair moments before death' - Nov 15, 2011
- Australian team offers condolences to Roebuck's family - Nov 14, 2011
- Investigator's collect semen samples to probe Roebuck's death - Nov 20, 2011
- Roebuck has committed suicide: South African police - Nov 13, 2011
- Roebuck ruined my life, says victim - Nov 17, 2011
- Police to question male students in Roebuck's suicide investigation - Nov 21, 2011
- India will remember Roebuck for his indictment of Australian team - Nov 13, 2011
- Cowan thanks mentor Roebuck for kick-starting his career - Dec 21, 2011
- SJFI mourns Peter Roebuck's death - Nov 13, 2011
- Cops take window smoker to psych ward after mistaking it for suicide bid! - Dec 20, 2010
- Watson batted with the vigour needed to lift tense comrades: Roebuck - Jan 17, 2011
- IPL, other places of ill-repute harming youthful minds, techniques: Roebuck - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: beatrice, cape town, commentator, conclusions, coroner, cricket, cricketer, criminal lawyer, e mail, floor hotel room, investigations, mortem examination, peter roebuck, post mortem, siblings, sixth floor, south africa, suicide, time in england, vile things