Roddick to take on Djokovic at OlympicsJuly 30th, 2012 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) World No.2 Novak Djokovic of Serbia will meet former U.S. Open champion Andy Roddick in the second round of the Olympic tennis tournament after the American beat Slovakia’s Martin Klizan Monday.
Roddick forced his way past Klizan 7-5, 6-4 thanks to late breaks in both sets as the Slovak, ranked 52nd in the world, put up stiff resistance.
The Olympic tennis is being played at Wimbledon, where Djokovic won last year and Roddick has reached the final three times, most recently in 2009.
Croatia’s 13th seed Marin Cilic will face 2002 Wimbledon champion Lleyton Hewitt in the second round after beating Austria’s Jurgen Melzer 7-6(5), 6-2.
“It was not as comfortable as I thought it was going to be,” Cilic said.
“In the first set I had a break and then I thought I’m going to get that first set done but Jurgen played really well at the end of the first set and made me a little uncomfortable on the court.”
Elsewhere in the draw, France’s world No. 20 Richard Gasquet beat 33rd-ranked Robin Haas of the Netherlands 6-3, 6-3, while there was also a win for Canada’s Milos Raonic.
- Olympic tennis: Federer moves into third round - Jul 30, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Federer reaches Olympics quarterfinals - Aug 01, 2012
- Djokovic thrashes Roddick at Olympics - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer beats del Potro in epic semifinal - Aug 04, 2012
- Venus, Baghdatis continue Olympic charge - Jul 31, 2012
- Djokovic wins Rogers Cup, eyes US Open - Aug 13, 2012
- Djokovic scrapes through to Rogers Cup semis - Aug 11, 2012
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Serena Williams beats Zvonareva - Aug 01, 2012
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Britain's Murray reaches semis - Aug 02, 2012
- Murray reaches Wimbledon quarters - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: andy roddick, dg, face 2002, jurgen melzer, late breaks, lleyton hewitt, marin cilic, martin klizan, milos, novak djokovic, olympic tennis tournament, open champion, ria novosti, richard gasquet, robin haas, s martin, slovak, stiff resistance, wimbledon, wimbledon champion