Rock climbing wall inaugurated in SrinagarSeptember 5th, 2012 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Sep 5 (IANS) An artificial rock climbing wall was inaugurated here Wednesday to encourage adventure sports enthusiasts, many of whom visit the state from other parts of the country.
State Tourism Minister Nawang Rigzin Jora said the wall could be used for three important rock climbing events - “bouldering, speed and lead”.
“From Sep 9 to 14, we will hold the north zone rock climbing competitions here. The department is also conducting a seven-day coaching camp for young boys and girls to promote and develop competitive adventure sports in the Valley,” Jora said, as he inaugurated the wall at the tourist reception centre in the Nowgam area of Srinagar city.
Nearly 170 participants from Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir are expected to compete in the north zone rock climbing competition.
The 12-metre-tall wall was constructed at a cost of approximately Rs.1 crore.
- Gill inaugurates 'International Standard Sport Climbing Wall' - Jul 12, 2010
- Motor rally to boost adventure tourism - Jun 25, 2010
- Jammu and Kashmir to promote adventure tourism - May 28, 2011
- 'Record tourist arrival in Kashmir is peace dividend' - Mar 26, 2012
- Now, a magazine for adventure tourism buffs - May 18, 2012
- Uttarakhand becomes the rock climber's dream destination - May 03, 2009
- 'Rich tourist infrastructure necessary for J-K tourism sector's development' - Apr 17, 2011
- Record tourist arrival is peace dividend : Kashmir minister - Mar 27, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: adventure sports, boys and girls, climbing competition, climbing competitions, haryana, himachal pradesh, jammu and kashmir, jora, kashmir, north zone, punjab, reception centre, rock climbing wall, rs 1, sports enthusiasts, state tourism, tourism minister, uttar pradesh, uttarakhand, young boys