Robin Dutt appointed sports director of German football federationJuly 24th, 2012 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) Indian-origin football manager Robin Dutt, a former Bayern Leverkusen manager, has been appointed as the sports director of the German football federation (DFB).
Dutt’s father Sabyasachi told IANS in an email from Germany that the 47-year-old, who was sacked by Leverkusen in April, has been appointed as the sports director of Deutsche Fussball Bund (DFB).
“My son Robin has been appointed by DFB as sports director and also belongs to the team management,” Sabyasachi wrote in his email.
Born to a German mother and Indian father, Robin came into the limelight when he was appointed as the coach of top Bundesliga club Leverkusen, replacing Bayern Munich bound Jupp Heynckes, in June 2011.
However, he was sacked April 1 after a 1-7 away defeat to FC Barcelona in the Round of 16 UEFA Champions League match and four consecutive Bundesliga defeats that left the club in sixth position in the league.
Dutt is the second Indian after Allahabad-born Sunil Gulati to be at the helm of affairs in international football.
Gulati, a professor of economics at Columbia University, is the president of United States Soccer and has been an influential figure in American soccer in the last 30 years.
- Robin Dutt to take over as sports director of German football (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Bayern are here for serious business, says coach Jupp Heynckes - Jan 09, 2012
- Monchengladbach coach Lucien Favre extends contract - Jul 05, 2012
- New coaches galore as Bundesliga kicks off - Aug 07, 2009
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Leverkusen extends contract with coaches - May 16, 2012
- Monchengladbach shocks leaders Bayern Munich in Bundesliga - Jan 21, 2012
- Niersbach is new president of German Football Association - Mar 03, 2012
- Dortmund humble Bayern to win German Cup - May 13, 2012
- Robben hopes Bayern friendly will inspire young Indian footballers - Jan 10, 2012
- Bayern Munich, Hannover triumph in Bundesliga - Sep 03, 2012
- Bundesliga booms despite loss of Oezil and Khedira - Aug 18, 2010
- Bhutia dazzles in his testimonial against the mighty Bayern (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Schweinsteiger to be out of action due to ligament tear - Feb 10, 2012
- Leverkusen cruise to victory against Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: american soccer, bayern leverkusen, club leverkusen, columbia university, deutsche fussball bund, football manager, german football federation, german football federation dfb, german mother, indian origin, international football, jupp heynckes, president of united states, robin dutt, sabyasachi, sixth position, son robin, sports director, sunil gulati, uefa champions