Roberto Carlos joins Ronaldo at Brazilian giant CorinthiansJanuary 5th, 2010 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo, Jan 5 (DPA) Brazilian left-back Roberto Carlos returned to play football in his native country and joined Corinthians Monday with a one-year contract.
The former Real Madrid idol, who lately played for Turkish club Fenerbahçe, was welcomed by thousands of Corinthians’ fans at the Parque Sao Jorge stadium in Sao Paulo.
Ronaldo, another veteran of Brazil’s 2002 World Cup winning team, also plays for the popular club.
Roberto Carlos promised to do his best so that Corinthians can this year win their first-ever title at the prestigious Copa Libertadores, the South American equivalent of the UEFA Champions League.
“The (Copa) Libertadores will have to be for Corinthians, based on the team that has been put together, on the club’s structure,” the defender said.
Roberto Carlos, 36, a native of the state of Sao Paulo, noted that he has not given up the dream of returning to the Brazilian national team although he has been kept off the squad since the 2006 World Cup.
“I have to look forward to those three or four months of playing the Sao Paqulo state championship. However, if I am fine, it is possible that I may return. That depends on (coach Carlos) Dunga, who can keep an eye on me from up close,” Roberto Carlos said.
- Ceni upstages Pele as Brazil's greatest - Aug 29, 2012
- Corinthians coach ecstatic reaching Libertadores final - Jun 26, 2012
- Corinthians win in Adriano's season debut - Feb 19, 2012
- World Cup winning goalkeeper Marcos ends 20-year career - Jan 06, 2012
- Roma secures Brazilian defender Castan - Jul 03, 2012
- Stoppage-time header from gives Fluminense victory - Apr 19, 2012
- Kidnapped Chile star to stay in Brazil for a month - Jun 16, 2012
- Boca goalkeeper provokes Corinthians before Copa final - Jul 03, 2012
- Boca beat Universidad in Copa Libertadores semis - Jun 15, 2012
- Chile playmaker Valdivia commits to Palmeiras - Jul 18, 2012
- Boca defender to play in Libertadores - Jul 01, 2012
- Carlos Tevez most likely to move to Corinthians - Jul 12, 2011
- Corinthians to play Emelec without center-back Marquinhos - May 01, 2012
- Former Real Madrid coach leads Gremio into top four - Jun 25, 2012
- Ronaldo pleaded with me to join Corinthians: Riquelme - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: american equivalent, brazil, brazilian national team, carlos dunga, copa libertadores, corinthians, dpa, four months, giant, parque sao jorge, popular club, real madrid, roberto carlos, ronaldo, sao paulo, turkish club, uefa champions league, veteran, winning team, world cup