Revitalised Real determined to win in Barcelona (Preview)December 11th, 2008 - 1:04 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Dec 11 (DPA) Real Madrid are determined to win away to historic rivals Barcelona Saturday, against all odds in the La Liga. Three days ago the “Madrididistas” didn’t seem to have a prayer in the Nou Camp, against a Barca side carrying all before them at home and in Europe.
Straight after Sunday’s 3-4 defeat at home to Sevilla - which left Real fifth in La Liga, nine points behind leaders Barca - coach Bernd Schuster said that “right now, it’s impossible for us to beat Barcelona.”
This pessimistic statement was one of the reasons Schuster was sacked Sunday and replaced by Juande Ramos.
On Wednesday, Ramos’ debut on the Real bench could hardly have been more promising: 3-0 against Zenit St Petersburg, with a new attitude and a new spirit from an injury-hit team that seemed moribund just three days ago.
“Tonight we made a new start,” said veteran right-back Michel Salgado. “We will have to continue like this against Barcelona.”
The truth of the matter is, however, that Real will go to the Camp Nou without injured Pepe, Gabriel Heinze, Mahamadou Diarra, Ruben de la Red and Ruud Van Nistelrooy.
In addition, Dutchmen Royston Drenthe and Wesley Sneijder are doubtful, while Marcelo and Arjen Robben have been suspended.
Barca are desperate to leave Real 12 points behind, but club president Joan Laporta wisely tried to lower expectations Wednesday, saying “it seems that everyone expects us to win easily, it will not be easy … we have to keep our feet on the ground.”
Barca will be without injured Gabriel Milito, Andres Iniesta and Alexander Hleb. But their regulars will be well rested since coach Josep Guardiola fielded a complete reserve team on Tuesday against Shakhtar Donetsk - and was rewarded with a 3-2 defeat.
The Barca-Real “Clasico” is not the only game of the weekend. On Saturday, third-placed Valencia are at home to Espanyol. On Sunday, second-placed Sevilla are away to fourth-placed Sevilla.
Sunday’s other games are: Atletico Madrid-Betis, Malaga-Numancia, Valladolid-Deportivo Coruna, Almeria-Racing Santander, Recreativo Huelva-Osasuna, Athletic Bilbao-Sporting Gijon and Getafe-Mallorca.
- Real defend lead, Barca try to catch up in La Liga - Feb 02, 2012
- Xavi, Pique to miss Barca's Liga game at Rayo - Apr 29, 2012
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Crucial weekend for Madrid, Barca in La Liga - Feb 10, 2012
- Real Madrid retain 10-point lead over Barcelona - Feb 27, 2012
- Barca win 'El Classico' to go top of Spanish La Liga - Dec 11, 2011
- Barcelona face surprise package in La Liga - Dec 02, 2011
- Barcelona blank Zaragoza in La Liga, Real Madrid beat Valencia - Nov 20, 2011
- Barca five points behind Real after draw against Espanyol - Jan 09, 2012
- Two tough defences as Barca host Sevilla - Oct 21, 2011
- Barca crush Atletico, Real thrash Rayo - Sep 25, 2011
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Barcelona look to close gap with Madrid - Mar 15, 2012
- Barcelona kick off Champions League defence against AC Milan - Sep 12, 2011