Retain veterans to revive Oz Test cricket: HopesMarch 16th, 2011 - 1:10 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Mar 16 (ANI): To help revive the Australian Test team’s fortunes which is on a downward slide, Queensland captain James Hopes has appealed for the retention of older players in Sheffield Shield cricket.
Voted the players’ association’s shield player-of-the-year, 32-year-old Hopes made a strong case for veterans at a time when Cricket Australia has pursued a policy of encouraging younger state squads.
Hopes said veterans were needed as mentors to the new breed as Australia looks to rebuild its Test status after the Ashes series disaster.
Earlier, skipper Ricky Ponting had said that the biggest problem facing the Australian cricket team is the falling standard of Sheffield Shield.
Ponting had a Shield batting average of 57.6, after 29 matches, when he earned Test selection just before his 21st birthday.
He said the lack of young players with similarly compelling figures signposted a problem with how they are coached.
“The biggest thing I’m worried about is how much of the long version of cricket kids are playing these days. It’s no coincidence to me that some of the techniques you see in state cricket are nowhere near what they need it to be to play Test cricket,” he added. (ANI)
- Falling standard of Sheffield Shield biggest problem of Oz cricket: Ponting - Mar 13, 2011
- Khawaja will be a standby for Ponting - Dec 21, 2010
- Five Oz players available for Sheffield Shield, Ryobi Cup selection - Oct 06, 2011
- Hayden to lead push to prevent axing of Sheffield Shield final - Feb 02, 2011
- Oz selectors will need to decide on Katich, Hussey's future in national squad - Mar 30, 2011
- Usman Khawaja considering moving to Queensland - May 01, 2012
- Split innings format will boost Oz domestic cricket season: CA - Aug 26, 2010
- Decision not to include Hussey wouldn't hurt Australia: Ponting - Feb 23, 2011
- Ryan Harris on fitness watch ahead of Ashes opener - Nov 15, 2010
- Ponting to play in Tasmania's Sheffield Shield opener - Oct 08, 2011
- Sheffield Shield to be played under twilight - Aug 17, 2011
- Khawaja says he's ready for Test call up if Punter pulls out - Dec 20, 2010
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- CA to investigate widespread doctoring of pitches by Oz domestic teams - Mar 18, 2011
- Ponting to miss final ODI against Sri Lanka to prepare for Ashes - Nov 06, 2010
Tags: 21st birthday, australian cricket team, australian test team, batting average, captain james, coincidence, cricket australia, downward slide, fortunes, mentors, new breed, queensland, ricky, sheffield shield, shield cricket, skipper, state squads, test cricket, test selection, test status