Rescuers feared Gascoigne was dead after car crashJune 15th, 2010 - 2:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jun 15 (ANI): Troubled soccer legend Paul Gascoigne was feared to be dead after rescuers dragged him from a crashed car.
Gazza was rushed to hospital with head and chest injuries after the car ploughed into a lamppost on Newcastle Quayside on Sunday night. His dad John, brother Carl and sisters Lindsay and Anna-Marie, visited him.
“He was in such a bad way I thought he might not make it - or may even be dead,” The Sun quoted an onlooker, as saying.
Gazza is believed to have been the front-seat passenger in a Vauxhall Astra driven by a 36-year-old woman, who was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.
Witnesses said the motor was doing 60 to 70mph in a 30mph area. One witness said it bounced back into the road after the impact.
“We saw a car speeding around the corner. There was a massive crash. The car was smoking. Gazza looked really bad - there was blood everywhere,” said student Andreas Weihs.
Bar manager Calvin Blamire said: “Gazza was on his back with a lot of blood coming from his mouth.” (ANI)
- 'I'm an alcoholic, I'm ill, but I'm not a bad person,' says Gazza - Aug 23, 2010
- HobNob munching Gazza says cheating death in crash beat booze addiction - Aug 21, 2010
- Gazza looks like 'Elephant Man' after car smash - Jun 17, 2010
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Witness' failure to attend court delays Gazza 'drik-driving' care for 3rd time - Dec 14, 2010
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- Gazza's drink-driving charge dropped - Feb 11, 2011
- Gazza may be jailed for druk driving - Nov 11, 2010
- Gazza, Greaves, to undertake stage show - Mar 24, 2011
- Asian-origin kids run over by car in Britain - Aug 19, 2012
- Gazza ticked off after street kick about with nephew - Aug 24, 2010
- Gazza's drinking pal accused of telling absolute pack of lies in court - Feb 16, 2011
- Gazza faces Christmas behind bars after failing to appear before court - Nov 12, 2010
- Facing jail time for drunk driving, Gazza now wants to be an actor - Nov 10, 2010
Tags: anna marie, brother carl, car crash, chest injuries, crash the car, dad john, front seat, gazza, lamppost, massive crash, newcastle quayside, old woman, one witness, onlooker, paul gascoigne, rescuers, seat passenger, soccer legend, vauxhall astra, weihs