Replica of Bolivar’s sword presented to fencing champAugust 9th, 2012 - 12:08 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Aug 9 (IANS/EFE) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez bestowed the Order of the Liberators on the country’s Olympic fencing champion, Ruben Limardo, and presented him with a replica of the sword of South American liberator Simon Bolivar.
“It’s an honour for me to have decorated in the name of all the Venezuelan people our Olympic champion Ruben Limardo with the Order of the Liberators of Venezuela,” said Chavez at a public ceremony.
Chavez emphasized that Bolivar was a “great fencer who fought with the left and the right (hand)”.
“There is nobody more worthy to receive this replica, the gold sword of Bolivar, than the gold medalist, this champion of the sword. From the sword of Bolivar to the gold sword of Ruben Limardo,” said the Venezuelan president when he revealed that he had already signed a decree declaring Limardo a “national hero”.
Limardo, who won Venezuela’s first gold Olympic medal in 44 years at the London Games, received with great emotion the recognition accompanied by his uncle and coach Ruperto, his father Francisco, two siblings, his grandmother and his girlfriend.
“I really feel very proud to be Venezuelan. I have said it since I was very small, this medal is worth 20 years of work, of sacrifice and effort,” said the 26-year-old sportsman.
The fencer said that he will place the replica of the liberator’s sword, which he brandished playfully but briefly before those present, in Bolivar’s house in the southern state of his birth, Bolivar, “because there is where it deserves to be”.
- Venezuelan lawmakers honour Olympic fencing champ - Aug 15, 2012
- Venezuela's Limardo wins Olympic epee gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Remains of Bolivar are authentic, says Venezuela - Jul 26, 2011
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Venezuela to pull gold reserves out of US, Europe - Aug 19, 2011
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Shakira sends autographed guitar to Venezuelan president - May 16, 2011
- Russia, Venezuela sign energy, defence deals - Apr 04, 2010
- Six die in Venezuelan gold mine clash - Jan 12, 2012
- Venezuela, Colombia liberalise bilateral trade - Nov 29, 2011
- Venezuela exhumes Simon Bolivar's remains - Jul 18, 2010
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Chavez vows to come back stronger after surgery - Feb 25, 2012
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
Tags: efe, fencer, gold medalist, grandmother, honour, hugo chavez, liberator, liberators, london games, national hero, olympic champion, olympic fencing, olympic medal, president hugo chavez, public ceremony, siblings, simon bolivar, sportsman, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez